PDA

View Full Version : Innstalling Knoppix to hdd without having a floppy drive..

brumlefar
02-07-2005, 08:14 PM
The install works like a dream.. But i don't have a floppy drive, and this way, i cant make a boot floppy... I don't know what this floppy does..

Is there a posibillity to make that it uses a usb memorypen for the install instead of a floppy ?

Or is it impossible for me, to make a hdd install without a floppy drive ??

Regards..

Brumlefar

eon
02-07-2005, 08:37 PM
You don't need to create the floppy. It's just insurance in case you can't boot from
lilo or grub. I would recommend backing up your files.

The installer should successfully install a bootloader to your MBR (master boot record)
I personally haven't used a usb flash drive to create a boot disk. Good luck.

foamrotreturns
02-07-2005, 09:29 PM
An idea I had when I saw this dialogue on my first install but had no idea how to implement it:
direct your /mnt/floppy to your /dev/uba1 (or whatever the system calls your usb disk)
linux gurus, can you suggest how to do this? symlink? just plain mount -t vfat /dev/uba1 /mnt/floppy?

brumlefar
02-07-2005, 10:02 PM
I get grub when i start up, after the install.. But i have no clue what to do when grub apears ... Anyone have a suggestion .. I installed knoppix on hda1 and used the knoppix choise..

Any help woud pe apriciated :)

foamrotreturns
02-07-2005, 10:06 PM
Honesty, that is very surprising. You should be getting LILO when you boot, not GRUB. Did you run a custom install?

brumlefar
02-07-2005, 10:08 PM
Yeah i think so.. and it suprised me as well, why lilo did'nt appear :\ Well.. U suggest a new install then?

foamrotreturns
02-07-2005, 10:10 PM
Yeah i think so.. and it suprised me as well, why lilo did'nt appear :\ Well.. U suggest a new install then?
First, let's determine what version you're using. I've only been flying the knoppix flag since ver. 3.4. It's possible that GRUB was used in a version previous to then.

brumlefar
02-07-2005, 10:13 PM
im using the newest version i think, it's about 2 weeks since the download :) so its 3.7

foamrotreturns
02-07-2005, 10:19 PM
/me is stumped.
i guess, if you don't have any valuable data on your machine as it is, you could re-install... couldn't hurt... *shrug*

brumlefar
02-07-2005, 10:40 PM
Now it works :D Now i just have to figure out all the other things like Wlan and other things.. But, Thanks.. Now it boot's with lilo.. One thing thoug.. How do i get it to run in 1400x1050 Res now ? I used CheatCodes b4..

foamrotreturns
02-08-2005, 03:34 AM
Now it works :D Now i just have to figure out all the other things like Wlan and other things.. But, Thanks.. Now it boot's with lilo.. One thing thoug.. How do i get it to run in 1400x1050 Res now ? I used CheatCodes b4..
You may want to see my tutorial thread when it comes to getting your wlan working. I know you're probably not running the same hardware, but the instructions about how to load the ndiswrapper are pretty similar across the board.
Here's the link:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16917