PDA

View Full Version : LILO installed to wrong MBR?

foamrotreturns
02-07-2005, 09:57 PM
Ok so here's what I've done so far:
Partition my 40GB HDD with 19GB at hda1 for Windows, 20GB at hda2 for Linux, and 1GB at hda3 for swap.
I installed Windows XP to hda1 and it re-wrote my MBR. Not a problem - I haven't installed Knoppix yet.
Installed Knoppix to hda2. It went fine.
I reboot
It boots Windows.
How do I install LILO/GRUB to the MBR now?
[edit] after reading around a bit, it seems that LILO may have been installed to the "MBR" of hda2 instead of hda1. Is there a way to install just the bootloader to the MBR on hda1 when running Knoppix from CD?

CrashedAgain
02-08-2005, 11:32 PM
You should be able to start your knoppix HD install from the CD with the bootcode 'knoppix root=/dev/hda5 noinitrd ro' (replace hda5 with the correct partition for where you installed knoppix to (hdb1?)).
Then check /etc/lilo.conf. If for the line 'boot=/dev/hd??'. Lilo should install to the MBR of whichever HD is specified there. You can install lilo from the HD install with the command 'sudo lilo'.

foamrotreturns
02-08-2005, 11:55 PM
Ok, I did that... I get this error:
/dev/mapper/control: open failed: No such device
Is device-mapper driver missing from kernel?
/dev/mapper/control: open failed: No such device
Is device-mapper driver missing from kernel?
Incompatible libdevmapper 1.00.19-ioctl (2004-07-03)(compat) and kernel driver
Warning: Unable to determine video adapter in use in the present system.
Fatal: open /usr/share/lilo/contrib/debian.bmp: No such file or directory

I think I'm going to push the image of my current XP partition out to hda2 with partimage, and then install knoppix on hda1. Hopefully that will alleviate this issue...

CrashedAgain
02-10-2005, 02:35 AM
the /dev/mapper error has been encountered before, see the last post on this thread:
www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16328

foamrotreturns
02-11-2005, 05:22 PM
Thank you so much CrashedAgain!
It worked like a charm!