PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix install

Tonayie
02-07-2005, 11:57 PM
Um consider me the total noob and i heard linux was good. So i tried knopiix which will return windows back to normal when i take out the disk, right?

And anyway i get in and i have to type in something at the bottom, it says "boot"
Can someone please walk me through the install?

But beware, this noob took 1 month before he got it on the disk correctly. :lol:

CrashedAgain
02-08-2005, 11:34 PM
from the 'boot' prompt; if you just wait until it times out it should start knoppix but it will be in German. Type 'knoppix lang=us' to start it in english.
post back if it doesn't work.

Tonayie
02-08-2005, 11:38 PM
from the 'boot' prompt; if you just wait until it times out it should start knoppix but it will be in German. Type 'knoppix lang=us' to start it in english.
post back if it doesn't work.

k i have the english version, but i tried knoppix lang=us anyway and no command at all the second time
Then a blank screen came up for like 10 min. Both times. So basically i just gave up
Im done with linux, i dont even know why its worth it.

pureone
02-08-2005, 11:55 PM
thats it? just one go at booting it? and you give up? :O im shocked!!!

after you press enter at boot what happens just a blank screen? no picture of a penguin? no error messages? what it your hardware setup? try booting knoppix with the cheatcodes

knoppix26

this uses a differnt kernel the kernel is very important and can make a big differnce when booting. if you are sure about getting the english version dont worrie about knoppix lang=us so much. press f2 and f3 for more options at boot

Tonayie
02-09-2005, 12:00 AM
thats it? just one go at booting it? and you give up? :O im shocked!!!

after you press enter at boot what happens just a blank screen? no picture of a penguin? no error messages? what it your hardware setup? try booting knoppix with the cheatcodes

knoppix26

this uses a differnt kernel the kernel is very important and can make a big differnce when booting. if you are sure about getting the english version dont worrie about knoppix lang=us so much. press f2 and f3 for more options at boot

two goes and you want me to type knoppix 26?

foamrotreturns
02-09-2005, 12:31 AM
no space between knoppix and 26
you may want to try this command:
knoppix26 fb1024x768
this will set your framebuffer. most systems are capable of displaying this resolution. post back if it doesn't work

Tonayie
02-09-2005, 01:58 AM
no space between knoppix and 26
you may want to try this command:
knoppix26 fb1024x768
this will set your framebuffer. most systems are capable of displaying this resolution. post back if it doesn't work

sorry but i still get a blank screen :(

pureone
02-09-2005, 10:33 AM
how many computers are you trying it on ? just the 1 if so what is its specs?

Markus
02-09-2005, 10:57 AM
k i have the english version, but i tried knoppix lang=us anyway and no command at all the second time
Then a blank screen came up for like 10 min. Both times. So basically i just gave up
Im done with linux, i dont even know why its worth it. You must be joking. By the same reasoning I could say that I just threw in a windows disk, pressed enter and still windows didn't load to a nice desktop, so what's the big deal with windows?

As pureone said, post hardware info like video card/chipset manufacturer and model, type of display, harddisk connector type and so on..

Most likely you'll get knoppix to boot with some cheatcodes (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Cheat_Codes) but we need more info to be able to help, otherwise were guessing.

Tonayie
02-09-2005, 12:10 PM
Im done with linux, i dont even know why its worth it. You must be joking. By the same reasoning I could say that I just threw in a windows disk, pressed enter and still windows didn't load to a nice desktop, so what's the big deal with windows?

As pureone said, post hardware info like video card/chipset manufacturer and model, type of display, harddisk connector type and so on..

Most likely you'll get knoppix to boot with some cheatcodes (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Cheat_Codes) but we need more info to be able to help, otherwise were guessing.
what can i say thats it