PDA

View Full Version : Newbie unclear on the Knoppix-as-hardware-detector concept

kynn
02-08-2005, 12:41 AM
I´m having problems with hardware on my laptop. I´ve heard about Knoppix, but I´m unclear on exactly how Knoppix can help me with my hardware problems, other than by confirming that the machine can in fact run a decent version of Linux. What I´m confused about is, once I get Knoppix CD to boot, and the desktop to come up, how can I translate this into concrete configuration steps for the ¨main¨ Linux system on the hard drive?

Thanks!

kj

chris-harry
02-10-2005, 10:04 AM
well... to tell you the truth... knoppix is a tempery system... one the power goes off, its gone in the wind... *wind blows*.. i dont know if you really can do that... but for question asking...

What Linux dis. do you have???

jamesgecko
02-10-2005, 03:11 PM
It *is* a temporary system, but you can also install it to your harddrive if you like.
Also, If you are just using it to detect hardware so you can run another distro, you can take a look at the config files knoppix automatically creates and copy them over to your 'real' linux installation.

rayk2
02-21-2005, 07:16 PM
I am currently running Knoppix 3.4 with linux kernel 2.4.
My computer has a cd-rw installed that works fine with Knoppix
I also have a dvd-rom I tried to install, Koppix reccognized that there was a DVD present but when I try to access it Knoppix defualts to the cd-rw and says it can't find the media.
Is there a way to tell Knoppix which cd player to access when asking for the DVD or the cd-rw?
Thanks