PDA

View Full Version : How to install English ispell dictionary?

jensen
04-04-2003, 06:34 PM
How do I install the English dictionary for ispell on Knoppix?

By the way, what is the reason that the German dictionary is supplied on th KNOPPIX-EN iso, rather than the English one? Having an English dictionary on Knoppix essential than - I think a lot of users would hesitate to do much writing on knoppix without such.

-Lars.

Stephen
04-04-2003, 06:54 PM
It depends on which dictonary you want if it is the american english apt-get install iamerican if the british dictonary then ibritish. Or you could download the packages from here (http://packages.debian.org/testing/text/ispell.html).

If you want to use a personal dictonary then open a console window and type touch .ispell_words then enter this creates an empty personal dictonary where your own words will be stored.

jensen
04-05-2003, 03:40 AM
When I try to use dpkg -i to install iamericam I get an "Read-only" file system. How do I use toold like apt-get and dpkg on a knoppix system?

Thanks for any help.

Lars.

Stephen
04-05-2003, 04:13 AM
You must be running from cdrom? If this is true you should look into the persistent home option which saves your configuration to the HD or search to see if there is a way to save the dictonary to the ramdisk.

You were using dpkg properly it just can not write the file(s) to the cdrom. If you want to install additional software you really should install on your HD.

My post above was for a HD install.