PDA

View Full Version : I can't seem to load KDE... stays at console

sakuragi
02-08-2005, 01:06 AM
My friend just gave me a copy of knoppix 3.6 a few months ago, and have used it actually in parallel with Windows. The OS's really cool for my programming needs and intend to use it permanently (though I'm not totally removing M$ Win on my machine :P). But a few days after installing, everytime I startup my PC, knoppix seems to report an error loading KDE (says something about KDE is unstable or something), then boots to console. After a few days of not using it (i don't anything yet on linux console cmds), it finally loaded KDE.

I'm now trying to download 3.7, but I thought maybe I can ask other long time knoppix users about this.

any help will be appreciated.

cheers :wink:

CrashedAgain
02-10-2005, 05:10 AM
You could try (re)installing KDE. 'Apt-get update' first to update your sources database then 'apt-get install kdebase'. 'Apt-get -t unstable install kdebase' to get the latest version.

sakuragi
02-10-2005, 05:53 AM
i just got my 3.7 version, i'll try this one first. i'll save this thread should i get this problem again. tnx.

btw, I have an old monitor (NTC brand), I tried the cheat "fb1024x768" but didn't seem to work (with Windows looks ok). The max res. I got with knoppix 3.7 was only 800x600. Does this mean I have to change for a compatible monitor?

xfactor973
02-11-2005, 07:42 PM
I had that problem also, do a apt-get remove xdm and that fixes it. It seems that xdm and kdm conflict with eachother somehow and kdm won't start if it sees it's the not the default manager.