PDA

View Full Version : Mount NTFS

Li'l Roberto
02-08-2005, 02:40 AM
Never used Knoppix, but it has been recommended to me as it may help me fix a windows XP NTFS based system. However I note from these forums there can be problems with data corruption writing to NTFS, I just want to be able to delete three infected files from the primary partition [see below].
So I have a couple of questions regarding this

1. is it possible to safely delete these files assuming I can successfully mount the partition
2. why am I recieving the error msg when attempting to mount the NTFS partion
3. is there proper support for capturing NTFS partions built in to this version of Knoppix,[there appears to be conflicting reports about this]

I have a machine infected by some kind of Trojan that creates two exe files each boot up. These files are hidden so I am unable to delete them whatever I try, safe mode or booting with a Bart's PE CD whatever.
My research tells me I have to mount the NTFS volumes to enable write properties, however following the instruction I have does not work.
I am running off a Knoppix V.3.6 CD, open a command window and enter these commands as per the instructions:

su -
# mkdir /mnt/captive-win
#mount -t captive-ntfs /dev/hda8 /mnt/captive-win

Here is the error msg recieved when attempting to mount a volume:
imagepath not readable /devhda8 at /sbin/mount captive-ntfs line 43.

The HDD in this machine is configured as follows
C: Primary
D: logical
E: logical
F: logical
G: logical [this is hda8]
H: USB pen drive
R: CD-R
W: CD-RW

Is anyone able to get me up and running here, basicaly I want to be able to mount the c: partition and navigate to the C:\windows\system32 folder to delete the infected files. backing up the system's data and cleaning off the hdd isn't realy an option we want to take, so hopefully Knoppix can fix the problem.

rgds
Li'l Roberto