PDA

View Full Version : Need Knoppix 3.7 Files that I cannot read off CD

macsmith
02-08-2005, 10:29 PM
Hi,

I have installed Knoppix 3.7 (Beginners) onto my HD but due to a slighty defect CD-Rom I am not getting all the files.
The files that were bad (Input/Output Error) are 'usr/share/java/libgci-3.3.5.jar' (I checked and the file on my HD is smaller) and also many from the 'var/lib/nessus/plugins/.desc/' Directory.

My installation seems to work but I am having various 'little' problems and before I start to 'fight' them I would prefer to correct these defect files in case they are casuing my problems.

Can I d/l these files off the net (I can login fine from Linux) and if so, where?

Will it be sufficient to overwrite the defect files with the d/l files and then just reboot Linux?

Regards and thanks in advance for any help :)

ps. I have spent many hours looking for Forum entries that might help, here and in Google, but found no results.

foamrotreturns
02-08-2005, 10:52 PM
how long ago did you run the install? If it was recent, why not just re-download and check the iso with an md5sum checker before burning it to a CD?

macsmith
02-08-2005, 11:21 PM
how long ago did you run the install? If it was recent, why not just re-download and check the iso with an md5sum checker before burning it to a CD?

I bought the CD in a magazine. The problem is my CD-Reader/Burner, that sometimes has problems reading. (I rarely use it.)

I know how to mount an iso file as a CD-ROM so can I do the Installation again from there?
(I guess I will have to put the iso onto another drive as the Installation reformats my drive every time, or is there a way to install without it reformatting my drive each time?)

foamrotreturns
02-09-2005, 12:47 AM
it won't necessarily reformat your whole hard drive. qtparted will only format those partitions you choose to format. I'm not sure how much hdd space you're working with though, so i'm not sure if you could work with the method you described.

macsmith
02-09-2005, 09:10 AM
I used the Knoppix-installer and it has always reformatted the partition where I want to install first.
Can I run qtparted directly and will that allow me to install 'over' a previous installation without reformatting?

I have two free partitions: An empty one with ca. 5GB and the one I am using for Linux with 20GB. I guess that should be enough space right :)

foamrotreturns
02-09-2005, 09:40 AM
qtparted only partitions the hard disk unless you give it the additional "format" command. The installer script is configured to completely format the partition it's about to be installed to. You can't "upgrade" a knoppix HDD install with a newer CD like you can in windoze. Maybe you'll be able to in version 6.0 or something... but a full upgrade setup would require quite a bit of programming. Something I'm sure Klaus doesn't have that much extra time for considering how much time he puts into this project anyway.

macsmith
02-10-2005, 09:50 AM
I completely re-installed from the Knoppix CD... and this time only a few openoffice files were not read.

So now I can go on to solving my other 'problems', which means you may see my posts in here again :)

Thank you for your help and advice, it was much appreciated.

ps. It still would be nice to be able to d/l single files if there is a need though.

macsmith
02-10-2005, 09:51 AM
I completely re-installed from the Knoppix CD... and this time only a few openoffice files were not read.

So now I can go on to solving my other 'problems', which means you may see my posts in here again :)

Thank you for your help and advice, it was much appreciated.

ps. It still would be nice to be able to d/l single files if there is a need though.