PDA

View Full Version : linux in general and obvious things missing.

VeeDubb
04-04-2003, 08:24 PM
I'm just looking for some opinion here. Have you noticed that linux in general just seems to be mising some obvious things? Like as far as I can tell, there's not "network wizard." There's no way to make your CD rom drive unmount automaticaly when you press the button on the drive. There's no way to change many drivers without recompiling the entire source code of the kernel. It just seems that these should be in there. I checked sourceforge and it doesn't even look like these things are being worked on.

Don't getme wrong, I'm not bashing linux, I love it for the most part. And there's some realy lick things included. Like apt-get. That is the most clever instalation method I've ever heard of. And anybody can shre their software that way because you can add sources. like SynCE, they aren't in any of the main apt-get repositories, but they have instructions for adding their server to the sources.list

Anyway, if you understand why these aren't there, or wish think something else that is obvious is mising, or not obvious and thankfully there, let's hear it.

Henk Poley
04-04-2003, 08:31 PM
I'm just looking for some opinion here. Have you noticed that linux in general just seems to be mising some obvious things? Like as far as I can tell, there's not "network wizard."
Tell me what it should do in your opinion and I might be able to point you at such a program (linuxconf?). Most networks nowadays are pretty much automated.

There's no way to make your CD rom drive unmount automaticaly when you press the button on the drive.
It exists, for example Red Hat will umount the CD (when not busy) if you press the eject button on your CD drive.

There's no way to change many drivers without recompiling the entire source code of the kernel.
This is irritating indeed. Sometimes it's "sloppyness" on the side of the driver programmer. As since it could also have been a module, and then could be compiled seperately (like for example the NVidia drivers).

VeeDubb
04-04-2003, 09:43 PM
I have a wireless router and I want to use my linux desktop as a the gateway for the internet with my other boxes running windows. There's another thread going but the best advice I could get was that this is REALY complicated and I need to enable NAT.

tjcw
04-05-2003, 05:29 PM
Apache makes a good 'proxy server', if the other boxes just want web (http) access

true1ever
04-05-2003, 05:44 PM
Squid is a proxy server, apache is a web server.