PDA

View Full Version : Setting up Default Gateways

deathscythe
02-09-2005, 05:59 AM
I know this may be a stupid question to ask but does anyone know how to set up a default gateway for Knoppix 3.7
I have a router and I would like to unsure that knoppix uses it as the default gateway.
It's not that knoppix doesn't use the router as a gateway, it's just that sometimes it takes a little while to get web addresses.
Any Ideas as to what could be the problem and how I can set up my network card in knoppix to use my router as the default gatewatey? :?:

Harry Kuhman
02-09-2005, 06:28 AM
I know this may be a stupid question to ask but does anyone know how to set up a default gateway for Knoppix 3.7
I have a router and I would like to unsure that knoppix uses it as the default gateway.
It's not that knoppix doesn't use the router as a gateway, it's just that sometimes it takes a little while to get web addresses.
Any Ideas as to what could be the problem and how I can set up my network card in knoppix to use my router as the default gatewatey? :?:
DHCP should take care of the gateway setting for you just fine. And what you posted gives no real indication that your problem is a gateway issue, you need to do more to determine just where the delays are happening (or if you have you did not post the information). I would suggest running ethereal, either on this computer or on a hub (not a switch) that the knoppix computer is also on. That way you can log traffic and see when the DNS request does go out, how long it takes to get a resoluion, and how long it really takes to get to the web address that you are interested in.

Otherwise, look at netcardconfig and see if that is of any help.

archiebald
02-09-2005, 03:01 PM
I'm a nooby but even I managed this.

Can't you just set up your default gateway in the network card config? Usually it will be something like 192.168.1.1 or similar. The info should be in your manual or you can see it by accessing the router sutup program.