PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix 3.7 - Turning off the "failsafe" boot opti

crapszwei
02-09-2005, 03:35 PM
I recenty got the Knoppix 3.7 all burned to a CD...but I had some problem getting it running on my system.
I ran it on a different computer, and it worked fine, but on my computer, with the default boot options (boot: ), it would look for the Knoppix cd in /dev/scd0. For some reason, this did not work, said it couldn't find the Linux filesystem.
When I booted with "boot: failsafe", it skipped a bunch of hardware detection, but then successfully found the knoppix CD on /dev/hcd (or not sure if there was a 'a' or anything on that, but that's not important.
My main problem is this: my USB mouse does not work in my new Hard disk Knoppix installation (dual booting winXP home and Knoppix), because it's not detecting USB (tells me it's skipping it "as I requested"). I had to borrow my brother's old serial mouse...since my mouse is a USB mouse (I hate having a usb mouse!). :?

My question: how can I turn off the "failsafe" option, or make it detect my hardware again? I don't think the /scd0 vs. /hcd will be an issue, now that I'm not booting from CD anyway.

Thank you!

CrashedAgain
02-10-2005, 02:30 AM
Check /etc/lilo.conf. Look for 'failsafe' in the line 'append=xxx xxx xxx failsafe xxx' and delete 'failsafe'. Then run lilo again to implement the changes. You will have to be root to edit the file & to run lilo.

crapszwei
02-10-2005, 05:10 AM
Thank you!
I actually found out exactly what prevented my CD to boot, the DMA acceleration, so I booted with "knoppix nodma", and it works!

That lilo.conf file will definitely be useful to me, though, thanks for pointing it out! Lilo seems to have put way too many Linuxes in there (seems to be different kernels...not something I really need), and put too many windowses in there (just FAT32 partitions). Anyway, it will be nice to get those out of there.
:D

CrashedAgain
02-11-2005, 04:16 AM
Lilo seems to have put way too many Linuxes in there (seems to be different kernels...not something I really need), and put too many windowses in there (just FAT32 partitions). Anyway, it will be nice to get those out of there.
:D

It does do that. I really don't understand why there is 'linux' which boots vmlinuz which is a link to vmlinuz-2.4 and another start option which boots vmlinuz-2.4 directly. It's time knoppix turfed the 2.4 kernel anyway.