PDA

View Full Version : How to get higher Screen resolutions!

clarjon1
02-09-2005, 04:16 PM
Go to run dialog, and run kxconfig

Kencaz
02-09-2005, 09:38 PM
Thanks for the info! Finally got the higher res.. I have been looking for. It's just to easy!

clarjon1
02-11-2005, 04:12 PM
ur welcome
btw, i found it when knoppix thought I wanted no higher than 800x600. I entered init 2, ran kdm, logged in as admin, and that's where i found it in a menu right next to the K menu button...
I wonder why they took that outta the menus?

marhleet
02-24-2005, 09:03 AM
i have my screen adjustable now,
adapter now i815 instead of probed i810
monitor specced as IBM P200 intead of probed P199b

I have set the screen size higer, and then back lower again.
now, text size on displays, (Konqueror) is much smaller like the screen size is still big.....
ideas to get it biggerer again ?
====
also, in the ctl-alt-1 screen, how to adjust the screen mode to 80x43 as it scrolls off the page,
this isfine in an SSH window as you can scroll the window ;-(

superbyo
04-10-2005, 06:19 PM

WONDERFULL!!!!

thanks

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ar
04-12-2005, 08:38 PM
cool one
thanx! :lol:

Harry Kuhman
04-12-2005, 08:50 PM
OK, what am I missing? I can run this. I can go to the screen section and make changes to resolution, color depth and vertical refresh rate. But there is only a cancel and a forward button. Forward just takes me back to the main menu. There seems to be no way to actually tell the program to make changes to these settngs. Am I missing a conrol because of limited support for my video card, or is there something I should do to actually make the change take place?

marhleet
04-14-2005, 08:00 PM
that would be a (probably) standard linux way of doing things when you might be used to the windows way.
there's no apply, or OK button.

once the selection is made, ytou need to 'quit' the program
but you also need ot restart the X-window session.
I've not figured that one out yet, so, just reboot the computer

Harry Kuhman
04-14-2005, 09:41 PM
.... so, just reboot the computer
Well, that's not gonna help me much then, since I'm running Knoppix as it was intended from a Live CD.

marhleet
04-16-2005, 04:42 AM
if you're running off of the cd, there is nowhere to save changes to.
unless you boot with a save directory on your windows machine too.

--
but, you're probably after how to
run kxconfig
exit the x-screen session
and restart the x-screen without having to reboot.
anyone ?

OErjan
04-16-2005, 08:38 AM
just choose
Kmenu-->logout-->end current session
then you should have restarted X

kenn3d
04-24-2005, 05:49 PM
I run kxconfig and change my screen rez to 1280x1024 and my depth to 24bit -
Then ctrl-alt-backspace (ends x session and restarts x)
I have new screen rez of 1280x1024... but my depth is still 16bit!

I've also tried cheatcode knoppix depth=24

Niether works. My FX5600 is recognized at boot time but assigned to Generic/nv ... no other Xconfig videocard selection seems more correct.

I need to run my screen in 24bit.

Anyone know how I can do this?

thanks,

Kenn

DuckDodgers
05-08-2005, 02:07 AM
I run kxconfig and change my screen rez to 1280x1024 and my depth to 24bit -
Then ctrl-alt-backspace (ends x session and restarts x)
I have new screen rez of 1280x1024... but my depth is still 16bit!

I've also tried cheatcode knoppix depth=24

Niether works. My FX5600 is recognized at boot time but assigned to Generic/nv ... no other Xconfig videocard selection seems more correct.

I need to run my screen in 24bit.

Anyone know how I can do this?

thanks,

Kenn
From the knoppix menu, open a root shell, type kxconfig, click on Screen, select your resolution, vertical refresh, and color depth from the drop down menus, click Forward, click Quit, you will see "KXConfig has created a new configuration. Do you want to save it?", click yes, you will then see "The new configuration was successfully saved. You will have to restart your session for the changes to take effect!", click ok. In the same root shell, type restartx and press enter.

a2waku
05-13-2005, 10:05 PM
^ i tried all the procedures here but everytime i restart x, the new settings are gone.. my resolution is still 640x480.. this is really frustrating, im a newbie in knoppix and dont know a thing about linux.. i want to try it out but this small problem is really a pain.. pls help

lotech
05-17-2005, 02:54 AM
There is a section on the XFConfig-4 limited the color depth, remove the comment '# Default depth 16' and change it to 'Default depth 24' may fix that

|enouf|
06-22-2005, 02:05 AM
.... so, just reboot the computer
Well, that's not gonna help me much then, since I'm running Knoppix as it was intended from a Live CD.

hi;
I just accomplished this using only the LiveCD (Knoppix v3.6 - using 2.6kernel)
Here's what I had to do;
- click K menu (start) | Run Command
- kxconfig (no need to run as root)
- Video Card -> forward
- Monitor (my exact Monitor wasn't listed, but I choose a 'similar' one and entered the correct hor. sync nd vert. refresh rates).
- Screen Setup
-- Choose Resolution (mine=1280x1024)
-- Choose Vertical Refesh (mine=75Hz)
-- Choose Color Depth (mine=24)
select QUIT
Then a popup screen appears saying it'll save your config if you like -- Save it
Then another popup telling you - you must End the session in order to take effect (Logoff)
...1st Save knoppix configuration as described below, and then either shutdown or restart

Save Config;
Click on the (Knoppix) penguin icon on the quick lauch bar | Configure | Save Knoppix configuration
When prompted you choose 'what' to save, ... and then 'where'

What = 4-5 tick boxes are already ticked (default)- I also tick the Desktop one (the only one not ticked - though likely not necessary)

Where = I have multiple partitions on the HDD I'm using - so I'm offered to save to any of the partitions (/mnt/hda1, /mnt/hda5, whatever)
You can also just 'save the config' to a Floppy diskette if you prefer instead
Take a good look at the Command needed to Load your config at boot time (mine is Knoppix26 myconfig=/mnt/hda5) this is the location I chose to save my configuration files
Once you've saved the config - you can now logoff (End session) - but preferably Restart or Shutdown, so you can Load your now saved configuration.
BTW - afaik, there's only 2 files saved from the "save knoppix config" action -- configs.tbz and knoppix.sh - so when you load the command at Boot time (again for me it's knoppix26 myconfig=/mnt/hda5) - you can use [scan] instead, but I have multiple configs saved for loading and testing

Here's the small catch - by only just logging off, you are not rebooting and you will need to reboot completely to Load your config - so you may want to practice with saving and rebooting into your "saved knoppix configuration" a few times just to get the hang of it and make sure it actually takes affect and works.

Previous to finding this forum, I've saved my KDE settings I customized along with my custom Mozilla settings, etc...I'm basically a n00b to linux, but a very no-MS person, as much as possible.

NOW - once you've got that down pat ;)
Once booted and loaded with your Config
go K menu | Settings | Control Center (allow it to load) | choose Peripherals branch | Display and set the Display Properties accordingly (before I used kxconfig, onlysettings as high as 1024x768 were available - now though, my 1280x1024 appears for choosing and Apply) then once again -- Penguin icon (Knoppix quick launch bar) | Configure | Save Knoppix configuration. Anytime you make changes to preferences or settings Save them. When trying experimental settings - save them somewhere else

I tried to make it simple, but it doesn't look like it ;) - so perhaps working backwards in this response may bring better results for you

update;
Well i did get a couple of 640x screens lately -- it seems the kxconfig command needs to be configured wholly everytime you open it...b/c I'm back now to 1280x1024 - yet everytime i open kxconfig - it shows 640x480

clarjon1
06-23-2005, 02:01 PM
Geez, all I had to do to get it to work (unless I had chosen incompatible hardwarez) was just to go to the K menu, select Logout, and then 'end session only'.
Another tip:
If you mess up, and your monitor won't allow you to use knoppix, get to runlevel 2 (init 2) and run 'xf86cfg'. Then, on the background, left click, go thru the menus untill you find a console, load it, select where it sould be when the little outline appears, and run kxconfig, and configure from there.
Once you are done, go back to the console you opened, and switch to runlevel 3 (init 3)
finally, switch to runlevel 5 (init 5) after the x-display server thing shuts down.
Repeat until you obtain preffered results!
Good luck!

|enouf|
06-26-2005, 07:24 PM
were you running Knoppix from a LiveCD?

rwcitek
07-30-2005, 12:31 AM
but, you're probably after how to
run kxconfig
exit the x-screen session
and restart the x-screen without having to reboot.
anyone ?
Method 1: in KDE, K > Logout > End Current Session

Method 2: all GUIs, press Ctrl-Alt-F1, press Enter/Return a few times, then type:

init 3 ; sleep 60 ; init 5
Let us know if that works for your setup.

Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org/