PDA

View Full Version : Dvdshrink and Kanotix 2005-01

RayB
02-10-2005, 11:53 AM
After having success with Dvdshrink on Kanotix Bughunter X I installed it on the latest Kanotix 2005-01 and the following error occurs:

Dvdshrink starts the Rip session, creates the Main directory and Video_ts directory and the process then aborts with the message:

Session Shell exited with Status 255

Any ideas on the error message????

Thanks

Ray

probono
02-10-2005, 01:20 PM
Probably means that your DVD drive isn't accessbile under /dev/dvd. Please make sure that /dev/dvd is a symlink to the correct device. (Maybe you can ask in #kanotix)

Greetings,
probono

RayB
02-15-2005, 11:54 AM
Probono,

In order to try this again I have:

1. Reinstalled Kanotix 2005-01.
2. Installed dvdshrink as a user
3. Installed css

Dvdshrink now seems to rip the dvd correctly, however on the dvd that I was trying to backup there is NO Video_ts_vob file, therefore the transcode will not work. Is this an unusual situation???

I am currently performing the backup on my Win2000 computer to see whether it works correctly under Windows.

Using DvdDecrypter to rip, dvdshrink seems to have no difficulty with the transcoding.

Ray

probono
02-15-2005, 02:34 PM
Is this just for one particular DVD or did you try other DVDs as well with the same result?

RayB
02-16-2005, 02:51 AM
Probono,

It would seem that if there is NO Video_ts_vob file on the original dvd then Dvdshrink as implemented by klik will not work. I have successfully ripped, transcoded and burnt, using k3b, a dvd which does contain the Video_ts_vob file on the original dvd, but if that file is missing then the dvd can be ripped but not transcoded.

DvdDecrypter and Dvdshrink in Windows caters for the missing Video_ts_vob file quite ok. It would appear that the error is restricted to dvd's which for whatever reason do not have that ts_vob file. I will in future check for that file prior to ripping anything.

Just one other question, is there any reason why when dvdshrink starts the full menu information is not available in the left hand frame??.

Thanks for your responses.

Ray

probono
02-16-2005, 08:47 AM
Hi Ray, thanks for letting me know, my DVDs all have the Video_ts_vob, so I didn't encounter the issue yet. Also, I don't know how dvdshrink looks in Windows because I don't have Windows anymore :)
Greetings,
probono