PDA

View Full Version : cannot connect to X server :0.0

dsarmientos
02-10-2005, 07:42 PM
Hi

I just installed knoppix 3.7 on my h.d

I really like it, but I have just had my first problem using it :)

I was installing firefox and wanted to install it to /etc/firefox, but as a user i did not have permission to change that folder, so i tried to run the script as root.
I got an error message, and thought i was doing something wrong. However, I found out I get an error message whenever I try to open a window (sorry I dont know the exact definition) i mean, whenever i try to open a graphic applilcation. For example:

dsarmientos@box:~$ su
Password:
root@box:/home/dsarmientos# konqueror
Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
Xlib: No protocol specified

konqueror: cannot connect to X server :0.0

I also have another question though it is not a problem. I would like to change my lilo screen to have the windows xp boot option selected by default.

Thanks in advance and sorry for my crappy english :P

tom p
02-10-2005, 10:05 PM
Hi,

either open a root shell from the KNOPPIX menu, or issue "xhost +localhost" in another console
(and read the "xhost" man page :-))

Ciao,
Thomas

CrashedAgain
02-11-2005, 04:11 AM
There is some info on running x applications as root here: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16894
You should however be able to do the install as root but actually run firefox as user, not root. How are you installing & why do you want to put it in /etc/firefox? Why not just apt-get install & let it install whereever apt wants to put it?
For ht elilo, edit /etc/lilo.conf, change 'default=' to Windows (name you use must match the 'label=' for that entry. Then run lilo to implement the changes. You must be root both for the edit and to run lilo.