PDA

View Full Version : Booting from USB Device Using Floppy?

victorhooi
02-11-2005, 02:03 PM
Hi,

I was just wondering if there was any way of booting from a USB device using a floppy?

If a BIOS doesn't support booting from USB, is is possible to boot from a floppy, then pass control to a USB device (eg USB Flash Drive, USB HDD, Sony NH1 Minidisc player, or even an iPod) ?

I know that you can use the bootfrom cheatcode to boot into a floppy, then load a knoppix .ISO image on your hdd, but is there something similar for USB?

If there was a way to boot to my Sony NH1 using a floppy on a old computer without BIOS USB boot, that would be really cool...:wink:

Thanks,
Victor

hassler
02-12-2005, 08:40 PM
I stumbled upon this link the other night, http://fuzzymunchkin.dyndns.org/tdot/usbkeyfob/index.php3 It talks about setting up to boot from a usb device, for both bios supported motherboards and non.
-Hassler

victorhooi
02-13-2005, 07:40 AM
Hi,

hassler: Yeah, I kinda know about this one dude *grin*. What I meant was, is there a way to boot to a Knoppix boot floppy, then load the iso from a USB device (much like the "bootfrom=/blah/blah/knoppix.iso" cheatcode for cdroms) ? Could you put the knoppix iso on a 1 gb device, then boot from that? (have no idea if this is possible, or how to do it)

Thanks a lot for your efforts though.

Does anybody else have any ideas? Is it possible to boot to a usb device on a computer that doesn't actually support usb-boot?

Thanks,
Victor

[i]Just out of curioisty, would anybody know what sort of power adapter a Digital Etherworks Hub 8T would require? I've dug up an old one, without a power adapter...completely OT, of course...*rolls eyes*