PDA

View Full Version : Version 3.7 vs. 3.6 font rendering

Robert A.
02-11-2005, 03:53 PM
Fujitsu C2010 Lifebook. 1024x768 screen.

Both Knoppix 3.6 and 3.7 work just fine. No problems with the standard hardware (I haven't tried any add-on peripherals).

In 3.6, I liked the 'Nimbus Roman No9 L' font for use as an alternative to Times in web pages. But in 3.7, the font rendering engine seems to be different. In 3,7, at 16px the font appears Bold, with conspicuous color edges, probably caused by erroneous subpixel hinting. The same applies to 'Bitstream Charter' but not to Times (which is bitmapped?) or to the few sans-serif fonts I tried.

Tweaking subpixel hinting in the KDE control center didn't help. Actually, I wouldn't expect it to help, since it is the browsers (both Konqueror and Mozilla) that are different in 3.6 and 3.7 regarding the font presentation.

There is no problem with the screen resolution detection. Everything else looks good.

Why this matters: I am trying to adjust my web page CSS so that Linux users, who don't have the same fonts as Windows or Mac, will see a reasonably equivalent visual presentation. Some of my pages have text coordinated with images, and I want the text to occupy approximately the same space in any browser that doesn't over-ride my CSS with user stylesheets.