PDA

View Full Version : Installing Knoppix and Win XP Pro from scratch.

Mengha
02-11-2005, 06:05 PM
Ok I have a knoppix bootable cd and im just about to wipe my computer and start over (messy comp lol) and thought about dual booting between knoppix (on hard disk) and windows.

But i've never dual booted before and have a few questions.

My system is:

AMD64 3000+ @ 2.0Ghz (Stock)
MSI K8N Neo Platinum Motherboard
Crucial 512MB RAM PC3200
Seagate IDE 80Gb Hard Disk
Sony DVD/CDRW Combo
Raedon 9800 Non-Pro 128Mb Graphics Card.
Intel Modem

I have the 3.6 linux bootable cd and an unattended setup integrated sp2 xp pro cd.

1. Im going to completly start again so what would be better to install first? Windows or Knoppix?
2. You need three partitions for linux? Os, Swap, Storage?
3. I have a single 80GB drive so how much space should i give to each partition?
4. When running knoppix from the cd it complain about my sound card being unknown and i get no sound. Its an integrated sound card on the mobo (AC 97) should i look for drivers on their site?
5. It always complain about unknown graphics card but i still get a display. should i look for drivers for this also?
6. Is there a good tutoiral or walkthough for what i want to do? :D

Thanks Alot

Markus
02-11-2005, 06:46 PM
1. This was just discussed here http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16938 . There are lots of similar topics you can search for and also documentation available through the top of this page.

2&3. At a minimum you need root (OS) and swap. I would also add /home in case you need to reinstall. That way your files and settings stay intact.
This is what I would do but change according to your needs:
30 GB , XP , NTFS
20 GB , storage , FAT32 , both XP and knoppix can read/write to vfat and in case you need to resize the XP partition you can resize/remove this and extend NTFS.
6 GB , Knoppix root aka / , ext3 , should be plenty
500 MB , swap , basically 1GB - RAM , but minimum 100 MB
10 GB , /home , ext3
the rest , storage , ext3

4. Is the chipset also AC97 or just the codec. Post the output of lspci -v . Have you tried the alsa cheatcode?

5. Have a look at cheatcodes (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Cheat_Codes)

6. Look at the Documentation and search this site.