PDA

View Full Version : How to avoid setting up network card and ASDL every time?

woshme
02-12-2005, 05:26 PM
Hi, a sincerely thank you to all the people who had given valuable advice or suggestions on the use of this Live Knoppix CD.
I am a newbie who have just started using the Live Knoppix CD for a week. Though the info I found in the forum I was able to setup my ASDL connection to the Internet.

However I cannot manage to save my internet configuration, ie. my setup of the ISP address, my login user name and password. I tried several times to save the persistent Knoppix home directory in my flash drive and then the Knoppix configuration in either the flash drive or on to a floppy disk, but every time when I start up the Live Knoppix CD (by knoppix home=/dev/sda1 myconfig=/mnt/sda1) I still have to redo the Network card configuration and then the ASDL/PPPOE configuration before I am connected into the Internet. I tried both the Knoppix version 3.3 Live CD and the Knoppix version 3.7 Live CD but still with no success to get my Internet connection up without redoing the network card and ADSL setups.

Have I missed any vital steps?

I hope some of you experienced Knoppix users may be able to help me with some advice.

Thanking you all in anticipation.

Harry Kuhman
02-12-2005, 06:06 PM
There are extremely inexpensive DSL/Cable home routers that will solve this and several other problems for you (even some problems that you might not know you have). They frequently cost as little as $10 U.S. after rebates (although I paid $100 for my first one a few years ago and it was a bargan at that price). The device takes care of all DSL login for you, and when you boot Knoippix i(or any other OS on any machine on your local network) it assigns you a n IP address on your local network. Boot and you are on the network, no extra software needed in Knoppix, Windows or any other common OS. In addition these devices provide a hardware firewall, making your system much safer. I wouldn't run on a high speed connection without one.

bertrehn
02-26-2005, 04:53 PM
Once set up, you only have to open a command console window and type:

pon dsl-provider

for connection,

poff

for disconnection

Good luck
Bert Rehn