PDA

View Full Version : almost got captive-ntfs working

cessna1501
02-12-2005, 09:36 PM
Hi everyone:

I have been playing with Knoppix and reading this forum for abour four weeks.

I think I just about have captive-ntfs working but I get one error message when I run captive-install-acquire:
In the "Local Disks Drivers Scan" window it says "ext2fsd.sys not found; optional module"
The other four files show up ok.
After a short period of time a warning window pops up and says: Cannot open targetfile "/var/lib/captive/ext2fsd.sys";. Read-only file system
When I click on OK the scan finishes and on the console it says "Killed"

I copied and extracted cdfs.sys, fastfat.sys, ntfs.sys and ntoskrnl.exe to /var/lib/captive and notice that ext2fsd.sys is in that directory.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I am a knewbee at Knoppix/Linux but am reading tutorials and the forum to try and get up to speed.

frugalyankee
02-15-2005, 07:11 PM
Well you are doing better than I am. I am trying to use Knoppix 3.7 beta and so far have gotten nowhere. All I want to do is rename two files on the NTFS partition and I cannot get captive ntfs to work at all. I also tried insert and had no luck. I guess I'll watch this thread to see if there are any helpful hints!
Good luck!

cessna1501
02-15-2005, 07:19 PM
I had no success with Knoppix 3.6, so downoaded 3.4 and it worked fine.
Several other threads indicate more success with 3.4 than 3.6.
Keep plugging away, it will work.

Good luck
Cessna1501

frugalyankee
02-15-2005, 08:12 PM
Thanks. I started with 3.7 beta then downloaded 3.6. Is 3.4 still anywhere to be had? I can't find it......maybe I do not know how to look in the right places.

helpdeskdan
02-16-2005, 07:24 AM
3.7 is a beta release? No wonder I'm having so many problems with it - should pay more attention.

Anyway, I wrote a webpage on this captive & 3.6. I hope you find it helpfull.

http://cs.svsu.edu/~dgschmid/knoppix.html

Not exactly the best webpage, but it should include all the info you need.

frugalyankee
02-16-2005, 01:30 PM
WELL!
Thanks helpdeskdan, THAT explains why I have been experiencing no end of frustration! And here I though I was just having oyur typical Newbie troubles!
So.......does anyone know where I can download 3.4? I have searched far and wide, only 3.7 and 3.6 are available it seems.

helpdeskdan
02-16-2005, 04:46 PM
Well, you could just use my instructions - they shouldn't be too hard. Or, you could download the bitdefender live cd. Captive seems to work better on it and I believe it's based off of 3.4.

The changes to fix captive are not hard - I wonder who one talks to get them put back in? I don't have time to think about it right now; studying 4 bsci.

Hope that helps!
-Dan

cessna1501
02-17-2005, 12:47 AM
Knoppix 3.4 was still available at the "CS Department, Virginia Tech" Mirror,
http://www.knopper.net/knoppix-mirrors/download.php?lang=en&link=ftp://raven.cslab.vt.edu/pub/linux/knoppix/

Sorry I haven't figured out how to post a link yet.

Under the "Get Knoppix" tab above, look for CS Department, Virginia Tech" Mirror.

Harry Kuhman
02-17-2005, 01:08 AM
Sorry I haven't figured out how to post a link yet.
What you posted is fine and should allow anyone to find the file.
If you do want to embed a URL the "pretty" way. it's not too hard. You can do it one of 3 ways:
1) While you type your text, click the URL button above the editing window. URL embedded in square brackets will be added to your text. You need to edit this, put an = sign right after URL and before the closing square bracket. Paste the URL in after this. Then type the discription of the URL after the close bracket. Finally click the URL button again and the BBcode to close the URL reference will be added to the end of your text.

Alternately, 2) Type your mesage, with the text that you want to point to the URL. Highlight that text and click the URL button. Both the opening and closing BBcode will be added around whatever you highlight. You still need to edit in the = and place the actual URL after the first URL reference and before the first closing square bracket.

or 3) just type everything manually. includig the opening and closing URL codes that the above would make.

Sorry I can't show actualy examples, but examples with square brackets around URL would be translated and you could not see them.

gnarvaja
02-18-2005, 08:41 AM
Well you are doing better than I am. I am trying to use Knoppix 3.7 beta and so far have gotten nowhere. All I want to do is rename two files on the NTFS partition and I cannot get captive ntfs to work at all. I also tried insert and had no luck. I guess I'll watch this thread to see if there are any helpful hints!
Good luck!
There is a package called captive-ntfs-knoppix that you may want to test (I haven't tested it).
You have to uncomment the http://developer.linuxtag.net/knoppix/ line in your original sources.llist file so apt or dpkg can find it.

Good luck,
--GN