PDA

View Full Version : disable automatic Knoppix user

hcdunlap
02-13-2005, 01:46 AM
I was so impressed with Knoppix 3.7 that I trashed Red Hat 9.0 and installed K 3.7 to my hard disk. I have a few questions:

1. How do I disable the automatic login on boot of the user Knoppix? I created another user for myself and would like to create addtional users for my family but everything I've tried defaults to boot and auto-login of user Knoppix.

2. I changed root's password but su - automatically gives me root access. I'd just like to tighten things up user-wise with my fresh installation.

So far, K 3.7 is very impressive. Thanks!

hcd

raj1478
02-14-2005, 09:31 AM
I was so impressed with Knoppix 3.7 that I trashed Red Hat 9.0 and installed K 3.7 to my hard disk. I have a few questions:

1. How do I disable the automatic login on boot of the user Knoppix? I created another user for myself and would like to create addtional users for my family but everything I've tried defaults to boot and auto-login of user Knoppix.

2. I changed root's password but su - automatically gives me root access. I'd just like to tighten things up user-wise with my fresh installation.

So far, K 3.7 is very impressive. Thanks!

hcd
What kind of installation you had? Was it using "knx-hdinstall" or using the "tohd" cheatcode?

Please explain in detail...

hcdunlap
02-14-2005, 11:32 AM
"knx-hdinstall" is the command I used to install Knoppix 3.7 to my hd.

Thank you for replying.

cd

Markus
02-14-2005, 02:12 PM
Looks like you did a knoppix style install. You should choose a Beginner or Debian style if you want multiuser. Shah posted a solution how to add login to a knoppix style install a while back which you could search this site for. Personally I always do a Debian style install which means that when you edit configuration files, the changes stay across bootups without any tinkering.

hcdunlap
02-15-2005, 03:50 AM
Yep...I went back and did the Debian install and I now have more control. This is exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks raj1478 & Markus for the replies to my question.

cd