PDA

View Full Version : 3.4 install- can't change the swap?

explosion242
02-13-2005, 08:20 AM
This is my first attempt at a full install. I tried to partition the hd but I think I made the linux-swap to small. It says I need at least 128, and I am showing 125.48. My question is how do I fix this? Can I redo everything and start over or can I try to resize it in some way?

Thanks in advance!
:D

mr_ed
02-14-2005, 08:06 AM
You can probably go either way. It may depend on what else is on your hard drive - do you want to multi-boot another operating system on the same drive? Then you'll want to be careful. If you're not worried about something else getting trampled, I think the easiest way is for you to just start over.

It may also depend a little bit on how you made the partitions. You can make them with one tool and still change them with another tool. You don't necessarily have to go back to the first tool (say, Partition Magic) if you don't want to. But if you're starting back at the beginning, you may be more comfortable using that first tool again to make the partition bigger.

-- Ed

CrashedAgain
02-14-2005, 05:20 PM
I also did this (some time ago), it was easier just to add a second swap partition instead of attempting to resize the existing one. Knoppix will find and use both swap partitions. QTparted will only work on a drive which is not in use so the resizing is easiest done running from CD, you will have to 'noswap' so that the HD is not in use.
I have also added a dos swap file which works just fine as an addition to the regular swap partition.