PDA

View Full Version : Can't recover files kde partition

pboodi
02-14-2005, 03:39 AM
I installed dual boot knoppix 3.3 on my laptop. it worked fine for months. The other day boot loader wouldn't work and I got a bunch of 99's I recovered the mbr on the windows partition and have the knoppix cd. The problem is I can't reinstall grub with the cd wont write to hd0. All I can see from the boot cd is hda1an hda2. It is complicated by the fact that the files I want to retrieve on the knoppix partition have have locks on them when booting from the cd. I created a userrname and password on the cd boot to match the hdd install but cant switch to it. The only two files I want have locks on them no others. I created them with audacity. I didn't encrypt them. If I could have access them I could pull them off and back them up. I'm stuck till them :roll:

thanks

pboodi

CrashedAgain
02-14-2005, 05:34 PM
Run as root to access your locked files. To run konqueror as root type"kdesu konqueror". You will need to set a root password first.
AFAIK there is no hda0; there is just hda (meaning the whole HD) which is divided into hda1, hda2, etc.
If the HD is now functional (ie you have repaired the MBR), you should be able to get into your knoppix HDinstall and reinstall lilo. See this: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16915

CrashedAgain
02-14-2005, 05:37 PM
deleted repeat post, had problems with 'submit'.

CrashedAgain
02-14-2005, 05:38 PM
deleted repeat post

pboodi
02-16-2005, 02:21 AM
Your post was helpfull, I havent tried the lilo/grub thing yet. Still cant recover files. I loged in to konquer as root with a password I created, (The same as on the hd install) I can now access the files (no locks visible). I have changed both partitions to have read/write access. I can listen to the files but when I try to drag them to the other partition It says theyre not readable. I don't know why.

Thanks in advance

pboodi :?

CrashedAgain
02-16-2005, 05:37 AM
Your post was helpfull, I havent tried the lilo/grub thing yet. Still cant recover files. I loged in to konquer as root with a password I created, (The same as on the hd install) I can now access the files (no locks visible). I have changed both partitions to have read/write access. I can listen to the files but when I try to drag them to the other partition It says theyre not readable. I don't know why.

Thanks in advance

pboodi :?
Sometimes this happens to me too, try edit->copy & paste instead of drag'n'drop.

pboodi
02-16-2005, 04:22 PM
Tried copy and paste that didn't work either. But...................Thank you thank you ..............I found a link in your earlier post. Hard drive install can be started using the cd. I used this method and have recovered my files. Now I'm off to fix the boot loader.

pboodi
02-16-2005, 04:45 PM
for the benefit of others

This is how to boot hd install from knoppix cd. knoppix root=/dev/hdaxnoinitrd ro where x= partition of hd install

pboodi
02-17-2005, 07:57 AM
I didnt know it was that simple. ..................boot from cd........with command listed above. ...............from hd install execute lilo and I'm back........

Thanks crashedagain

Linux rocks!