PDA

View Full Version : What Laptops run Knoppix?

mithrill
04-05-2003, 09:08 AM
I'm about to buy an older laptop, 200-400mhz. It needs to be able to run Knoppix (from the cd). I'm not sure how well Knoppix supports laptops, pcmcia and all that, what experiences do you all have running it on laptops? Should i expect lot's of trouble or should it generally work on most systems.

eadz
04-05-2003, 01:37 PM
It should work on most laptops, but being knoppix on a cd, you can always "try before you buy" :)

as for pcmcia cards, they generally work well.

ktheking
04-05-2003, 05:36 PM
It should work with practically any laptop (as long as it can boot of a cd)
Nevertheles in many cases you will have to use the framebuffer options and screen resolution options ( F2 cheatcodes) to make it work.
But as we say in electronics : 'to measure is to know' ,just try the notebook with the cd before buying.
greetzz..

txGeek
04-06-2003, 05:53 PM
It runs on my HP ze1210. I don't use the modem so I cannot confirm whether it works or not. But, the sound, video, NIC, USB Mouse, Touchpad, Power Management, and CD burner work both when booting to the 3.2 (3-28-03) CD and with the HDInstall.

If you load Knoppix on your harddrive with the knx-hdinstall you will probably have to make a few corrections to get the same experience as booting to the CD. The wheel on my USB mouse worked when booting to the CD, but not after the HDInstall so I had to correct the XF86Config-4 setting. When booting to the CD you had links to any NTFS partitions on the desktop, which were automounted, but not on the HDInstall so I had to correct the fstab to fix that. If you create a new user they get the default KDE settings on the panel, not the standard Knoppix one but that is easily corrected. Other than that everything seems to work correctly.

Dave_Bechtel
04-10-2003, 03:10 AM
--On an older laptop you will likely have problems with sound and hotplugging PCMCIA cards, but even if you have to boot with a framebuffer the rest of it should work.

I'm about to buy an older laptop, 200-400mhz. It needs to be able to run Knoppix (from the cd). I'm not sure how well Knoppix supports laptops, pcmcia and all that, what experiences do you all have running it on laptops? Should i expect lot's of trouble or should it generally work on most systems.