PDA

View Full Version : TMPGEnc for linux?

Bonster
02-14-2005, 05:22 AM
Anyone do any video conversion here?

TMPGEnc Studio is great for windows but well im trying to forget windows. And i really dont want to use Wine.
http://www.pegasys-inc.com/en/index.html

Would like to no which programs that is about the same as TMPGEnc for linux.
or just a program that have two main features that I need which is:

Convert to DVD-Video [or Mpeg2] - aka DVD-VCD
DVD Author [make Dvd menu/ chapters]

---------------------
Knoppix is so cool :D

pau1knopp
02-14-2005, 05:48 PM
I used mplayer / mencoder to convert my DVD's to DIVX avi files, with the size varying on screen width and bit rate you specify. A high quality copy is about 1.2G for a 2 hour movie, low quality is about 700M for a 2 hour movie.

This works well with replaying them back with zine. Currently I have a couple of scripts that I used for this, but you could also use AcidRip if you want a pretty front end on it. Can't help you too much with the subtitles as I have not needed this yet.

Hope this information is helpful,

~pau1

Bonster
02-15-2005, 12:27 AM
Can u tell me how exactly u got mplayer install on ur Knoppix system.

"rpm -i mplayer.rpm" - didnt work
Downloaded an "mplayer.deb" file off the net says missing libxvidcore4 which debian doesnt have.

also tryed
apt-get -f install - fixed some but not all

I would of try converting the original rpm file to deb but i donno how.
Or from source but i donno how to build also.

If this is the way to do it plz show me how thanx :lol:

pau1knopp
02-15-2005, 10:41 PM
I had to remaster KNOPPIX (not as daunting as it seems) to put mplayer and mencoder on it. I will not go into the details here as it is covered pretty thoroughly in the documentation section. However, I did use apt-get install mplayer mencoder to install the software before remastering.

The only other option is to use klik to install to a live CD, but I'm not sure how well this works, as all apps are not currently supported.

A plain vanilla KNOPPIX distro (without remastering) will not do what you want it to do. Much "must have" software is not distributed as there are various copy right / legal ambiguities / license restrictions / etc.

Some distributions do include this functionality though. I got started with LinuxConsole before I started rolling my own.

Looky here:

http://www.linuxconsole.org/index.php?langue=en

~pau1