PDA

View Full Version : Getting rid of startup script actions

lengel
02-14-2005, 08:42 PM
Hello,

I have used Knoppix for about 2 years now on my hard drive. I periodically update via apt to keep my system up to date and I had not realized there was a knoppix site in sources.list. Recently when I did an update I have all kinds of annoying behavior I woudl like to get rid of. After this, I removed any Knoppix references from sources.list so this cannot happen again, but the damage has been done.

Some startup script is now active and it rewrites my inetd.conf and fstab each time I boot. The annoying thing is it makes an inetd.conf that activates pop and imap each time which is silly on my computer. Each time I comment them out, they come back the next reboot. I then decided to be clever and installed xinetd to replace inetd. Since knoppix does not touch my xinetd.conf, those two services are no longer started, but now I have a flood of messages about using xinetd.conf and how the changes to inetd.conf are not taking effect. Good, I do not want them! However, I really want rid of these messages during startup and shutdown. I cannot find where this is done. I found the part of knoppix-autoconfig where fstab is rewritten and I have commented this out. What script tries to rewrite inetd.conf?

Is there a reasonably simple way to get my Knoppix to be more like Debian in terms of booting and where from programs are called? I do not want to install a new Knoppix with the Debian-like option because the system is working pretty well and I don't want to have to reconfigure all my settings. If I am going to reinstalll, I will use a Debian CD but I hope this is not necessary.

CrashedAgain
02-15-2005, 06:41 PM
What type of HD install is this (looks like a Knoppix-style). The /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig script is not used with the Debian style install.
You can compensate for some of this using cheatcodes; eg cheatcode 'nofstab' will prevent Knoppix from overwriting your fstab. On a Hd install, cheatcodes are implemented by the 'append=' line in /etc/lilo.conf. Just edit tis file then rerun lilo to implement the changes.
Apt-get upgrade modifies the system to start every available service by default. Run sysV-init to remove any services you don't want.
The startup sequence is in /etc/rcS.d, the startup sequence for each runlevel is in the rc file for that runlevel.
You can check out here: http://www.icon.co.za/~psheer/book/index.html.gz for an excellent reference which gives more detail on Linux boot & startup processes.

gnarvaja
02-18-2005, 08:22 AM
The startup sequence is in /etc/rcS.d, the startup sequence for each runlevel is in the rc file for that runlevel. You can check out here: http://www.icon.co.za/~psheer/book/index.html.gz for an excellent reference which gives more detail on Linux boot & startup processes.
Before /etc/rcS.d there is a script in Knoppix which does all the reconfiguring. I can't remember which one it was, whether it was in /etc or in the CD-ROM, and I can't find the reference in this forums.
I had a similar problem with hostname and the date. No matter what configuration file I had, the script would overwrite it. A search in the Knoppix packages using aptitude, dpkg or similar should make it easy to identify (if you have the linuxtag server in sources.list of course ;) )

--GN