PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix home directory not persistent ?

bucodi
02-15-2005, 10:03 AM
I'm running knoppix on a laptop from the live CD.
I've created a ext2 partition who acts as home directory.
When i boot with "knoppix home=/dev/hda6" everything works ok except that I discovered something weird.
When i look at the properties of the knoppix home directory it says "/ramdisk/home" so I suppose that the home directory is copied to ramdisk at startup?
Is this right?

What wonders me is, when I create something on the home directory and then reboot, at the reboot it's gone. Even when I do a "Save KNOPPIX configuration". Is this normal ?

Rony

Daniele
04-16-2005, 12:36 PM
I'm running knoppix on a laptop from the live CD.
I've created a ext2 partition who acts as home directory.
When i boot with "knoppix home=/dev/hda6" everything works ok except that I discovered something weird.
When i look at the properties of the knoppix home directory it says "/ramdisk/home" so I suppose that the home directory is copied to ramdisk at startup?
Is this right?

What wonders me is, when I create something on the home directory and then reboot, at the reboot it's gone. Even when I do a "Save KNOPPIX configuration". Is this normal ?

Rony

I've the same problem (not only on a laptop) with Knoppix 3.8.1, if i put the home persistent directory image on a FAT32 filesystem all is rigth, but if i put the home persistent directory on e ext2 filesystem it does not work like a persistent directory...

gadgerama
04-19-2005, 10:05 PM
I found that if I type myconfig=scan home=scan, lots of config settings are kept, but it still ain't perfect. The only files that I add to my system that stay permanently, are the ones I add to the desktop. All the others disappear in a mysterious fashion. I've got knoppix on a slave HD as a pmi, and start it using the cd. I'm also horribly new to this so apologies if it seems like the blind are leading the blind.