PDA

View Full Version : Emergency advice needed

djh-world
02-15-2005, 03:51 PM
Hello there, I wasn't sure what forum to post this in, but I've been doing a lot of searching for any issue that might help me.

I use Gentoo Linux as my OS.

This is the problem: -

For my A level coursework I have been given the task of creating a system, unfortuanatly the computers at college only have MS Access installed (even though I pleaded for some MySQL/PHP support) so this is what the project has to be based on. Usually at this point everyone will probably suggest using "crossover office" which, unfortuanatly for me, doesn't want to work, it doesn't do anything when you try to install Office XP, it just stays at the "Installing DCOM95" bit, or sometimes gets past that but just stops on the "updating windows installer" bit. It doesn't hang however, it just stays at the same bit, no error message or anything! I've even left it for about 3 hours running, but the same thing happens

After consulting the people at Crossover, they said they do not support Gentoo for obvious reasons.

I'm now in the process of quickly thinking up some solution to rectify this. As I use a resier4 filesystem, people have stated that I shouldn't cut my root partition to make way for a Windows one. I'd agree with them on this as I am in great risk of losing data.

Anyway.

After looking on these forums, I feel I might have a possible solution, which is why I am posting this.

Is it possible to use Crossover Office with a Knoppix live CD?

I know it's a long shot, but I have seen it mentioned on these forums.

Thanks for any help that is received.

pureone
02-15-2005, 04:14 PM
i donno i would say look to see if theres a .deb package. why dont you just use open office if your just making documents.

djh-world
02-15-2005, 04:27 PM
The project I am dealing with is an MS Access Database with frontend which cannot be used with OpenOffice etc.

djh-world
02-15-2005, 07:08 PM
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14707&highlight=crossover+office

The topic above contains something interesting, the final reply says something about 'pointing' to a home directory?