PDA

View Full Version : Poor Man's Install - Can't change read/write mode

Nick889
02-16-2005, 12:23 AM
Ok, I'll give as much detail upfront.

I have 1 partition with win98 on it and wanted to be able to explore knoppix without messing with other partitions and get all messy and stuff. So I used the tohd command and I did the following..

tohd=/dev/hda1

it worked as expected and booted correctly. However.... I can not change the read/write permission on the hda1 disk. Everytime I right click and select "Actions" then select "Change read/write mode" I get an error about how the drive is already being accessed and it can not change it. This of course is because I am booting from it.

Is their anyway I can change this so that I can write to the same drive I did my tohd command on? I tried changing the setting when booting from cd and it works just fine. I saved my config and did "knoppix myconfig=/mnt/hda1" at the boot prompt and all my configuration options load normal when i use "fromhd=/dev/hda1" EXCEPT for that the drive still isn't writable.

What can I do? Any knoppix guru's want to help a newbie?

CrashedAgain
02-16-2005, 05:59 AM
Is their anyway I can change this so that I can write to the same drive I did my tohd command on?

No. Knoppix locks the partition the tohd is installed on.

Jansi
02-17-2005, 05:00 AM
Is their anyway I can change this so that I can write to the same drive I did my tohd command on?

No. Knoppix locks the partition the tohd is installed on.

Here is a case where a partition pointed-at by fromhd= and home= is writeable:
http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Hd_Based_HowTo#1.6_Dual_booting_Poor_Mans_Install_ with_Windows_using_GRUB_on_HD