PDA

View Full Version : Playing flash without using Web-browser plugin

jlregister
02-17-2005, 04:53 AM
Is it possible to play Flash without using Web-browser? I can play shockware and flash files in Firefox but how do you run flash as a file?

Jimmy

foamrotreturns
02-21-2005, 08:21 PM
You might be able to use a special executable file specifically designed to run swf files without a browser... Personally, I always run them in a browser... that way they save their cookies properly - saved games work, etc. Why is it that you don't want to run them in a web browser?
~(my name is) Jimmy (too!:))

Robert A.
02-28-2005, 05:55 AM
In Windows (not Linux) you might try "Irfan View."

Why not use browser? Answer: Most SWF are annoying ads. The ones that aren't ads tend to be distracting attempts at multimedia. I don't have Flash installed, for that reason. But once in a while, something that might be useful is in SWF format.

foamrotreturns
03-02-2005, 04:33 AM
In Windows (not Linux) you might try "Irfan View."

Why not use browser? Answer: Most SWF are annoying ads. The ones that aren't ads tend to be distracting attempts at multimedia. I don't have Flash installed, for that reason. But once in a while, something that might be useful is in SWF format.
And for viewing sites that are built entirely in flash?
www.homestarrunner.com for example
I use a firefox extension called flashblock that turns all SWF objects in a page into little "play" buttons. They don't load until you click on them. This way I can view sites that are written entirely in flash without having to wget the whole site locally and then view it with a 3rd party program.