PDA

View Full Version : How do i boot a laptop with no floppy???

suvio
02-17-2005, 05:46 PM
I deperately want to divorce from micro****

I have an ASUS M2400E laptop and I would like to start knoppix on it.
Problem is it does not boot the CD and it hasn't got a floppy drive.

Any suggestions?
I have no clue!

(I'm a beginner, no experience with Linux apart from trying to get the thing started a million times)

Harry Kuhman
02-17-2005, 07:25 PM
[.....Problem is it does not boot the CD and it hasn't got a floppy drive.
Any suggestions? )
One would assume that a laptop with a CD and no floppy is certainly capable of booting from CD. Since you posted no other information, the most obvious diagnosis from what we have been given is that you burnt the iso improperly, at high speed, or didn't check the md5 sum. Read the downloading faq which you can find from the documentation link at the top of this page.

foamrotreturns
02-21-2005, 07:36 PM
When you're booting the machine, get into your BIOS by tapping either the F2 or DEL key (it differs by manufacturer)
Then change the boot sequence to place the CD-ROM before the HDD in your sequence so it checks the CD first, and then if it doesn't find a bootable CD, it will boot your HDD normally. This only adds a fraction of a second to your boot time and greatly increases the flexibility of your computer.

suvio
02-23-2005, 12:04 PM
THANK YOU MY FRIENDS IT DID WORK WITH THE ESC KEY. I ALSO CHECKED THAT THE CD READER WAS PROPERLY INSERTED IN ITS BAY.
KNOPPIX IS RUNNING WELL, I AM SAVING MY OWN CONFIGURATION (I'M QUITE PROUD OF THIS!) I STILL HAVE SO MANY QUESTIONS... ALL THE BEST!!! :D