PDA

View Full Version : Why do myconfig= and home= conflict sometimes?

Jansi
02-17-2005, 11:54 PM
In short, just using:
"home=/dev/hda2"
gives me a persistent home directory, but doing this:
"myconfig=/dev/hda2 home=/dev/hda2"
Gives me no persistent home directory. Anybody know why? Even weirder, in some installations I have, they don't conflict (both will work).

Jansi
02-19-2005, 09:56 PM
<...>Even weirder, in some installations I have, they don't conflict (both will work).
UPDATE:
In looking at an installation where persistent home directory AND the KNOPPIX configuration were both compatibly working together, I noticed that I used "config=/dev/hda2" instead of "myconfig=/dev/hda2"

Are config and myconfig interpreted differently by the kernel??

I will look in to this more when I can...

Honkeychops
02-20-2005, 04:02 PM
Have you tried: "home=scan myconfig=scan" ?? This works for me.

Matt

Jansi
02-24-2005, 04:50 PM
Have you tried: "home=scan myconfig=scan" ?? This works for me.

Matt

Nope, no success, but thanks. And no, my hypothesis that "config=" might act different than "myconfig=" failed too.

The only thing I can see different those two machines that work (i.e., in which myconfig= and home= get along together) from any other installations is that I would have stored a lot more stuff in their config files than usual -- CUPS printer stuff, root password, fixed IP addresses, etc. When I get some time, I may explore config.tbz a bit.

I mean, it works to just put the config files in another partition, but I'd prefer to have everything together and writable, and I also don't like not knowing why it works some places and not others! :-)