PDA

View Full Version : Persistent Home dir Questions

downdogWoof
02-18-2005, 06:25 AM
Hi All,

after creating this, does it save on the run, or, do I have to initiate saves.? For things like email app/browser app settings etc, where are they saved, config file or to the home dir..? Cheers.

Mark Sargent.

decoy
02-18-2005, 02:01 PM
normally to load these settings , you specify on knoppix boot : knoppix home=scan ; knoppix myconf=scan
you can also put instead of scan the hard disk or wathever where you have put your config file like myconf=/dev/hda2/

I got problems too with the Persistent Home dir feature , i got knoppix cd on my harddisk (fat32) and i ran the script for making a persistent home dir , but i didn't let it format to ext2 or ext3 , i just used the option to use an knoppix.img file on the disk ( made it 500meg) and now when i try to reboot with home=scan or even home=/dev/hda5/knoppix.img it doesn't work

please help

decoy
02-18-2005, 02:27 PM
saw these warnings in the boot screen

WARNING: FAT32 is not a good filesystem option for /home/knoppix (missing/symlink support)
WARNING: Better use an ext2 loopbackfile and boot with home=/dev/hda5/knoppix.img

i thought i did this , the knoppix.img is there on the drive(next to the config file that works with no problems) and is exatcly the size that i specified. so i dont know whats wrong