PDA

View Full Version : New project but iso is too big

rabinhood
02-18-2005, 09:28 AM
I have make a post in the remstring area but I haven't a reply....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I remastering a dvd version. The knoppix image file is 2,8 GB and the cd versions start without problem but when I add a directory with the file and I remastering my version I receive the error "Can't find a KNOPPIX Filesystem" when I start my new dvd. Somebody can't help me about this error?
I used all option in boot string but isn't a solutio
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pleas help me....

Harry Kuhman
02-18-2005, 02:02 PM
ISO 9660 standards limit any individual file on a DVD to 2 megs in size.

rabinhood
02-18-2005, 02:35 PM
Can I resolve the problem? I have a 2.6 ISO size

Harry Kuhman
02-18-2005, 02:44 PM
Can I resolve the problem? I have a 2.6 ISO size
The ISO size is not the issue. I stated any individual file within the iso was limited to 2 gigs, not the iso itself. One way to resolve it seems almost too obvious. There have been some other work arounds discussed in these forums; I've never done any myself.

rabinhood
02-18-2005, 03:32 PM
Sorry I don't speak english very well and I can't search the right topic. Can you link me please.

lilsirecho
02-18-2005, 06:12 PM
Robinhood;

I would suggest that you install .cmg files which reduce the size by 50% and utilize cramfs files . These files are "on-the-fly" decoded when you run them.

Many of these files are available through the Klik system and would certainly provide a reduction in your DVD load.

This could best be implemented by eliminating enough of the DVD program to allow it to be burned. Then add the .cmg files after the burn to DVD such that they are available with a single click on the desktop.

I haven't tried the install of .cmg files within a DVD burn although I have no reason to believe it won't work.

Essentially, the use of cramfs to initiate .cmg files provides a second compression within the Knoppix LiveDVD...the cloop and .cmg compressions.

Best to you :D

probono
02-19-2005, 11:55 PM
lilsirecho, I'm doing what you describe w/o problems. Nice to have a DVD consisting of core Knoppix/Kanotix plus 4 GB of additional software :)

Greetings,
probono

lilsirecho
02-20-2005, 06:04 AM
Probono has underlined the DVD possibilities by stating he has increased the DVD software by 4GB using .cmg files..

The original size of the DVD without the added .cmg files is ~2GB which constitutes about 5GB of software "on-the-fly" decoded.

The result is ~9GB of DVD software on the DVD disc "on-the-fly".

The additional .cmg files are 50% compressed and when added to the ~2GB of cloop compressed software on the original DVD produces a fully loaded DVD disc ~4+GB...instead of having ~half of the disc not utilized

It would seem a good solution to the problem you presented.

belyi
02-25-2005, 06:35 PM
If you use Linux 2.6 with driver mapper support you can go around 2Gb limit a little bit differently - split your uncompressed image into chunks (on a block boundary) which would compressed into under 2Gb sized images, use separate cloop devices for each of them and then use 'linear' target to put them all together. Try something like this (assuming 65536 block size and 16Gb uncompressed image):

split -b 4294967296 KNOPPIX-UNCOMPRESSED.iso KNOPPIX.iso.
create_compressed_fs KNOPPIX.iso.aa 65536 > KNOPPIX0-gz.iso
create_compressed_fs KNOPPIX.iso.ab 65536 > KNOPPIX1-gz.iso
create_compressed_fs KNOPPIX.iso.ac 65536 > KNOPPIX2-gz.iso
create_compressed_fs KNOPPIX.iso.ad 65536 > KNOPPIX3-gz.iso

modprobe cloop
losetup /dev/loop0 KNOPPIX0-gz.iso
losetup /dev/loop1 KNOPPIX1-gz.iso
losetup /dev/loop2 KNOPPIX2-gz.iso
losetup /dev/loop3.KNOPPIX3-gz.iso

dmsetup create knoppix <<EOF
0 8388608 linear /dev/loop0 0
8388608 8388608 linear /dev/loop1 0
16777216 8388608 linear /dev/loop2 0
25165824 8388608 linear /dev/loop3 0

mount -r -t iso9660 /dev/mapper/knoppix /KNOPPIX

So, here - you'll have your under 2Gb file sizes on iso9660 and a nice 16Gb uncompressed file system. :smile:
The only problems are that Linux 2.4 does not have device mapper and you need to adjust your mounting schema for /KNOPPIX during boot.

Hope it helps,
Cheers,
Igor

P.S. It may not work with the current create_compressed_fs due to a small bug - it adds an extra block if uncompressed image size is evenly divided by the block size. It doesn't show up when you have just one image, but with many it will show up in the middle of your file system.
If you have python installed you can use "my cloop python utilities" :wink: ftp://belyi.ac93.org/pub/cloop-pyutils.tar.gz as a workaround. Otherwise, you should apply a tiny patch provided with a debian bug report: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=296179

lilsirecho
02-25-2005, 07:14 PM
belyi;

Appreciate your discussion of alternate methods to create DVD media with large uncompressed files (quote 16GB).

I would assume that such uncompressed files of this size would be slower in execution than compressed files (.cmg 50% or zisofs 50% compression).

This conclusion is based on the search time required to find the application.

The use of .cmg files installed after the burn provides the option of deleting and adding files to utilize new applications.

This suggests a combination of burned .cmg files and post-burn .cmg files as being more versatile as well as faster in execution.

Very nice to hear of your application of another method. :D

belyi
02-25-2005, 11:38 PM
Thanks for pointing .cmg file out for me. :smile:

I probably can understand the convinience argument for putting .cmg files on a DVD but I'm not buying the efficiency argument untill somebody show me a benchmark results.

Both cramfs and cloop do decompression "on-the-fly" they just do it on different levels - one on File System level, another on a block
level. Note, that what they decompress still lives on DVD for both of them even after they are mounted.

When cloop is mounted it reads all offsets of compressed blocks into memory therefore finding what to load from the DVD does not take much time - lookup in this translation table what to load, make corresponding request to DVD driver, and then send back to kernel decompressed data. As a result you would spend as much time looking for an application and loading it for a big cloop image as you would do for a small one.

As for .cmg files... It's very interesting approach, I admit it. Especially, for small programs depending only on their own resources and on core components. But I wonder how interdependency could be solved with it. What would .cmg file do if it needs something from another .cmg? Bundle all necessary files in its own .cmg? Look for another .cmg? And what if you start program twice? If you click the same .cmg you will spend another /dev/loop. Do you ask users to start .cmg differently if it is already started?

But, I'm sorry... This is not a .cmg discussion board.

Thanks,
Igor

lilsirecho
02-26-2005, 12:04 AM
belyi;

You are correct, this is not a .cmg forum, but a DVD forum. The answer given to the DVD question however can be provided by .cmg files.

I agree that multiple calls of the same .cmg use up loop availability. This can be increased by cheat codes. It does not seem to be a serious drawback.

All .cmg files are independent of each other and no interdependency is possible for a correctly encoded .cmg file. The .cmg files are bundled with their dependencies.

I am interested in the application of solutions to the LiveDVD media use and your idea seems appropo as does the .cmg approach. I know that the .cmg approach is useable as evidenced by probono in his posts.

I eagerly expect to find a good use for multiple "cloop" solutions to the DVD media LiveDVD maximal use of rom space. I especially appreciate solutions that are easily upgraded. A combo of "cloop" multiples and deleteable .cmg files seems attractive.

I find .cmg files compatible with my desktop system, archlinuxOS as well as LiveCD's STUX, pcLinuxOS as well as Knoppix derivatives.

I am hoping I can utilize the "cloop" system you describe as well. I find that cloop, cramfs, and zisofs are all possible in a LiveCD/DVD.

I hope I can add multiple "cloop" to that list.

Best to you

:D

lilsirecho
02-26-2005, 03:54 AM
Belyi;
The reference to bugreport...bug=296179 returns no such item in google.

belyi
02-26-2005, 05:10 AM
You don't need to google for it. Just follow the link:
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=296179

Igor

belyi
02-27-2005, 12:59 AM
For a proof of concept I've created a new minirt26.gz which recognizes KNOPPIX.0 .. KNOPPIX.3 images as a split KNOPPIX image. I've tried it on KNOPPIX 3.7 CD by spliting its compressed image in half.
You can get this 1.4Mb minirt26.gz from ftp://belyi.ac93.org/pub/KNOPPIX/minirt26.gz but I have very small upload speed so it may be easier if I tell you what I did.

1. Mounted the original minirt26:
modprobe cloop
mount -o loop KNOPPIX-3.7.iso /mnt/src
losetup /dev/cloop0 /mnt/src/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX
mount /dev/cloop0 /mnt/root
gzip -c /mnt/src/boot/isolinux/minirt26.gz > minirt26
mount -o loop minirt26 /mnt/minirt

2. Edited /mnt/minirt/linuxrc (here's the patch: ftp://belyi.ac93.org/pub/KNOPPIX/linuxrc-dm.patch)

3. Statically compiled losetup and dmsetup utils (simply added -static switch to the linker) and copied them into /mnt/minirt/static

4. Statically compiled a small program dmtables (ftp://belyi.ac93.org/pub/KNOPPIX/dmtables.c and copied it into static as well.
gcc -static -o dmtables dmtables.c
cp dmtables /mnt/minirt/static

5. Copied driver mapper kernel module:
cp /mnt/root/lib/modules/2.6.9/kernel/drivers/md/dm-mod.ko /mnt/minirt/modules/dm-mod.o

6. Created additional cloop nodes:
pushd /mnt/minirt/dev
mv cloop cloop0
ln -s cloop0 cloop
mknod cloop1 b 240 1
mknod cloop2 b 240 2
mknod cloop3 b 240 3
popd

7. Unmount and compress minirt26 back:
umount /mnt/minirt
gzip minirt26

8. Create your splitted KNOPPIX image:
rsync -a --exclude=KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX /mnt/src/ newimage
extract_compressed_fs /mnt/src/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX | split -d -a 1 -b 973696k - knoppix.decomp.
create_compressed_fs knoppix.decomp.0 > newimage/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX.0
create_compressed_fs knoppix.decomp.1 > newimage/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX.1
cp minirt26.gz newimage/boot/isolinux
mkisofs -pad -l -r -J -v -V "KNOPPIX" -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -b boot/isolinux/isolinux.bin -c boot/isolinux/boot.cat -hide-rr-moved -o KNOPPIX-3.7-splited.iso newimage

9. Burn the image and then boot it using knoppix26

10. If it works you can start fill KNOPPIX with your favorite programs without worry for 2Gb limitation of iso9660. :smile:

Note 1. dmtables just simulates the job of blockdev --getsz, plus some arithmetics to align those split images nicely for driver mapper. I suspect you can do its job easily with some other methods.

Note 2. This is just quick-and-dirty work - it is not intended for mass production.

Note 3. I didn't use extrace_compressed_fs and create_compressed_fs programs - I used my own utils but it shouldn't be matter as long as you use the patched version.

I appologize for being too verbose... Spending 20 minutes to create an image and then finding a typo in linuxrc during boot (repeated number of times) do get on my nerves. I thought I should spill it on somebody else too. :wink:

Cheers,
Igor

lilsirecho
02-27-2005, 02:40 AM
IGOR;
Downloaded the 1.4MB file, renamed to minirt26.gz.

I assume the next step is step 8 wherein the file is incorporated into the mkisofs command. This produces an iso for a DVD burn which incorporates the split KNOPPIX image created by the procedures in step 8.

Step 9 then provides a DVD disc with the knoppix26 option to boot.

This creates a DVD disc with knoppix26 boot option but I am confused by the statement in step 10 which seems to indicate...adding to the disc. Perhaps your intent was to show that the system works and the user can re-do the procedure and change the KNOPPIX apps to be included in a new burn.

To make the operation of mkisofs completely clear, perhaps a coded statement would be best.

I mention this because this procedure will be read by many users with less than expert capability. It has been advertised on two other OS sites.

You know of course that a newbie is an expert user trying a new program for the first time....

Your experience with the typos in linuxrc are replicated in my experience with minirt26.gz modifications!

I have yet to install any new applications in Knoppix3.7 but have managed to generate changes to a knoppix DVD to permit toram of a 2GB DVD in my
3GB ram.

Many thanks for your expose' of the methodology behind the multi cloop Knoppix burn! :D

I will post it in archlinux!

chris-uk
02-27-2005, 01:24 PM
This limitation will get silly when we have BluRay at 100GB.
If I don't need ISO conformance ... I know perfectly well what will read the file, it will be 'mount -o cloop' from Knoppix ... how do I write an 'iso' with a bigger Knoppix file ?

I've put a torrent for 'Knoppix 3.6 DVD for Windows' under http://home.btconnect.com/chrisandcarolyn/torrents/ . Does this kind of thing
http://home.btconnect.com/chrisandcarolyn/k37qemu.png. (Actually that is Knoppix37 for Windows, torrent in same directory, screen shot of DVD not to hand but is obvious) Hope someone with a fast permanent connection can take it; it will take best part of a week to leech.

lilsirecho
02-27-2005, 05:16 PM
Chris-uk;

Pleased to have your interesting post with the screen-shot to boot! Nothing like a pix to save ten thousand words...

Wondering how fast the DVD loads at boot.

The screenshot depicts a never-turn-it-off syndrome!!! Surf while you sleep?

What version of windows?

Many users would have withdrawal symptoms if they had to torrent for week!!! More suicides!!! :lol:

Very nice that you provide such an interesting opportunity :D

May we have the index of the torrent listed in your next post?

chris-uk
02-27-2005, 08:26 PM
http://linuxtracker.org hosts the torrents; but grab from my web page, it should be automatic.
6 hours for a CD if I have to upload it; some are well seeded. 11 CDs and a DVD altogether.
'Knoppix 3.7 for Windows' takes a couple of minutes to boot; slow, but not unacceptably slow. 'SuSE for Windows' and 'Warty for Windows' are slow for technical reasons, but the rest are fine.

belyi
02-27-2005, 10:54 PM
I appologize for the confusion in my post. It wasn't meant to be an instruction on creating a KNOPPIX distribution with splitted files - I just documented the steps I've made to create the new minirt26.gz so that the steps which could be made better were easy to spot. For a regular KNOPPIX remasterer just having the minirt26.gz should be enough. The step 8. was simply copied from http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Knoppix_Remastering_Howto for compliteness and yes, this is the step you should jump to if you have the right minirt26.gz. Step 10. is not a step as such - just a happy remark. Please, strike 10. from its prefix.

Now, the chris-uk's remark regarding silliness of the ISO made me think... Acctully, you need ISO only for boot, so there's an even easier solution based on the driver mapper:
Create your bootable KNOPPIX image without the compressed KNOPPIX file, then create an ext2 file system (or any other without 2Gb limitation) containing only this compressed KNOPPIX file and append it to the bootable KNOPPIX image. The following steps should show what I mean:

mkisofs -pad -l -r -J -v -V "KNOPPIX" -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -b boot/isolinux/isolinux.bin -c boot/isolinux/boot.cat -hide-rr-moved -o KNOPPIX-3.7-prefix.iso newimage
dd if=/dev/zero of=KNOPPIX-3.7-suffix.iso bs=1M count=697
losetup /dev/loop3 KNOPPIX-3.7-suffix.iso
mke2fs -T largefile4 -m 0 /dev/loop3
mount /dev/loop3 /mnt/root
cp -a /mnt/src/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX /mnt/root
umount /mnt/root
cat KNOPPIX-3.7-prefix.iso KNOPPIX-3.7-sufix.iso > KNOPPIX-3.7-moved.iso

You will need another linuxrc for such generated image which will do something like the following (1427456 - is the size of the KNOPPIX-3.7-suffix.iso in 512b blocks and 11268 is of the KNOPPIX-3.7-prefix.iso):
echo "0 1427456 linear /dev/cdrom 11268" | dmsetup create knoppix
mount /dev/mapper/knoppix /mnt/tmp
losetup /dev/cloop0 /mnt/tmp/KNOPPIX
mount /dev/cloop0 /KNOPPIX

I'll try to comeup with the new minirt26.gz latter.

Cheers,
Igor

belyi
03-01-2005, 04:33 AM
Ok, this way solution becomes even quicker and dirtier. :smile:

The new minirt26.gz is here: ftp://belyi.ac93.org/pub/KNOPPIX/new-minirt26.gz
It has new linuxrc with the following difference: ftp://belyi.ac93.org/pub/KNOPPIX/linuxrc-append.patch and an utility to check if CD/DVD contains more than one filesystem: ftp://belyi.ac93.org/pub/KNOPPIX/fssize.c

You prepare new ISO image from the old one as following (using zsh):
1. Mount the old image

2. Create filesystem containing compressed KNOPPIX. It looks like 0.25% extra for file system overhead should be enough.
size=$(du -ks /mnt/src/KNOPPIX)
size=$((($size + $size/400)/1024))
dd if=/dev/zero of=KNOPPIX-suffix.iso bs=1M count=$size
mke2fs -F -m 0 -T largefile4 KNOPPIX-suffix.iso
mount -o loop KNOPPIX-suffix.iso /mnt/root
rsync -a --exclude boot /mnt/src/ /mnt/root
umount /mnt/root

3. Create a bootable image in ISO without big compressed KNOPPIX file.
cp new-minirt26.gz newimage/boot/isolinux/minirt26.gz
mkisofs -pad -l -r -J -v -V "KNOPPIX" -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -b boot/isolinux/isolinux.bin -c boot/isolinux/boot.cat -hide-rr-moved -o KNOPPIX-prefix.iso newimage

4. Concatenate them and burn the result image on CD.
cat KNOPPIX-prefix.iso KNOPPIX-suffix.iso > KNOPPIX-full.iso

Note1: You don't have to copy text files in both prefix and suffix images but you would want to modify linuxrc even more to find them in the other part of the image.
Note2: when cloop is taught to read from a block device instead of a file the solution will be much cleaner - suffix image won't need to have filesystem overhead, plus you would be able to avoid using driver mapper altogether which will make the solution portable for Linux 2.4 as well.

Cheers,
Igor

lilsirecho
03-01-2005, 05:47 AM
Belyi;

Mighty fine info and will have much to try with that setup.

I am sure others are interested as well!

lilsirecho
03-01-2005, 05:53 AM
Chris-uk;

Downloaded your Knoppix3.7 w/qemu. Took four hours...Burned to CD ok and loads Linux2.4 by default.

Please advise as to whether 2.6 option is included.

I haven't been able to boot 2.6. If I recall correctly, 3.7 Knoppix has to have 2.6 capability...not found!?

Any special words on this?

Second item...downloading the DVD began at 50KiB/s but after 500MB download speed went to 3KiB and the upload to 15kiB/s. This means around 5 days more in download time.

Is this normal?

lilsirecho
03-01-2005, 06:17 AM
Chris-uk.....
Following examination of the /boot/isolinux file i find that your download has no minirt26.gz file.

It isn't Knoppix3.7 without minirt26.gz!!

You really should make this clear to users in the index!!

Bittorrent doesn't perform well without a lot of participants!!!

Linux tracker has one participant and three leeches!

Gotta move on!

chris-uk
03-01-2005, 08:22 AM
The 'windows boot kit' requires an extra copy of the vmlinuz and initrd, as well as a megabyte or so for QEMU. Adding those to the Knoppix 3.7 CD caused it to overflow the standard size for a CD ... it would work fine on a DVD, but that's not convenient for everyone either. So I took off the 2.6 kernel and initrd.

Linux 2.6 is set up by default for HZ=1000, i.e. 1000 timer ticks per second. Running this in emulation with QEMU is hard, and I haven't got into rebuilding kernels yet. This means that 2.4 kernels are rather more practical under QEMU. If you'd like to try a 2.6 kernel, there's always 'SuSE-for-Windows', 'Warty-for-Windows', and 'Kanotix-for-Windows'. And there was space on 'knosciences-for-windows', so that has 2.4 and 2.6 kernels.

Besides, running under Windows doesn't really need the extras that a 2.6 kernel brings.

You're welcome to take what I did and improve on it ... for example, you can put back the missing files (into the 'qemu*/bootcd.iso' as well as in the boot directory) and remaster onto a DVD, or try overburning a CD ... I have done nothing to stop you, and it should work perfectly well.

You also know the solution to 'not enough seeds'. I'm doing all I can ! :D

lilsirecho
03-01-2005, 06:05 PM
Ok, this way solution becomes even quicker and dirtier. :smile:

The new minirt26.gz is here: ftp://belyi.ac93.org/pub/KNOPPIX/new-minirt26.gz
It has new linuxrc with the following difference: ftp://belyi.ac93.org/pub/KNOPPIX/linuxrc-append.patch and an utility to check if CD/DVD contains more than one filesystem: ftp://belyi.ac93.org/pub/KNOPPIX/fssize.c

You prepare new ISO image from the old one as following (using zsh):
1. Mount the old image

2. Create filesystem containing compressed KNOPPIX. It looks like 0.25% extra for file system overhead should be enough.
size=$(du -ks /mnt/src/KNOPPIX)
size=$((($size + $size/400)/1024))
dd if=/dev/zero of=KNOPPIX-suffix.iso bs=1M count=$size
mke2fs -F -m 0 -T largefile4 KNOPPIX-suffix.iso
mount -o loop KNOPPIX-suffix.iso /mnt/root
rsync -a --exclude boot /mnt/src/ /mnt/root
umount /mnt/root

3. Create a bootable image in ISO without big compressed KNOPPIX file.
cp new-minirt26.gz newimage/boot/isolinux/minirt26.gz
mkisofs -pad -l -r -J -v -V "KNOPPIX" -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -b boot/isolinux/isolinux.bin -c boot/isolinux/boot.cat -hide-rr-moved -o KNOPPIX-prefix.iso newimage

4. Concatenate them and burn the result image on CD.
cat KNOPPIX-prefix.iso KNOPPIX-suffix.iso > KNOPPIX-full.iso

I suggest that the burn of the image is to a DVD disc rather than CD..............................................

Note1: You don't have to copy text files in both prefix and suffix images but you would want to modify linuxrc even more to find them in the other part of the image.
Note2: when cloop is taught to read from a block device instead of a file the solution will be much cleaner - suffix image won't need to have filesystem overhead, plus you would be able to avoid using driver mapper altogether which will make the solution portable for Linux 2.4 as well.

Cheers,
Igor

================================================== ================================================== =========================================

A minor comment to step4 inserted.

lilsirecho
03-01-2005, 09:06 PM
Belyi;

Suppose I copy the KnoppixDVD I have into a file called DVD. This will provide all of the contents of the DVD including the compressed files as well as plain text.

Can I not apply the procedures you outline on the available files in the DVD file and thusly replace the minirt26.gz with the new minirt26.gz. I don't know whether the outlined procedure you have provided just addresses the 2.6 kernel. The original DVD has both 2.4 and 2.6 kernel options and are present in the DVD file. I appreciate that other changes are needed in addition to the new minirt and hopefully can be accomplished using the DVD files.

This approach to making changes to the DVD has permitted me to change minirt26.gz to enable toram loading of the DVD. Actually, I exchanged the DVD version of minirt26.gz for the CD version with a change in linuxrc to permit 3GB ram. (Yes, the minirt26.gz from the CD)

Since your procedure addresses only minirt26.gz, I conclude it generates a DVD with just kernel2.6 available. This result is OK.

I perform the changes needed in other than Knoppix or debian OS'es. Actually do my changes in archlinuxOS.

If there is a way to split the DVD Knoppix with the prefix and suffix .iso using the DVD file I described, I would be able to build on that experience to produce a larger DVD burn, one not limited to 2GB. Thus, the use of the DVD file would be an alternate method.

If it isn't possible, just say no!!!

chris-uk
03-01-2005, 10:17 PM
I have 32 kilobytes/second of uplink capacity, currently attempting to seed 11 'Linux-for-Windows' CDs and 1 'Linux-for-Windows' DVD.
At the moment, about 12 kilobytes/second is going to 2 people trying to take DVDs, and they're about 30% through; but how long it will take depends on what other demand there is, and whether anyone else chips in bandwidth to help.
It will get there eventually. I can leave it 'up' for quite a while.

rabinhood
03-02-2005, 09:06 AM
I'm alone to work to steam server project DVD. Use more than one filesystem is interesting but I't too busy work. If it's not possibile now to make a dvd with a large iso size I made 2 different version, one for cs server and one with dm2 version.

belyi
03-02-2005, 03:02 PM
Lilsirecho,

Sorry, I didn't quite understand what you are asking.

minirt26.gz is used only when you start knoppix with 2.6 kernel and since minirt24.gz is not changed starting kernel 2.4 will cause it to look for compressed image in a previous location - in ISO image itself. I just updated the new-minirt26.gz file so that it will first look for the second filesystem and if compressed KNOPPIX image is not there it will look in the old (ISO) location then. This way on DVD you can have one under 2Gb image in ISO for the kernel 2.4 startup and another in your second filesystem for kernel 2.6.

I don't have KnoopixDVD or archlinuxOS to check if there's a difference in linuxrc startup script. Can you give an url for me to try?

On the other hand, if you previously succeeded in using minirt26.gz from a CD for DVD there's a good chance that it will work for 2 filesystem DVD image too. There's nothing special about updates I've made to linuxrc - it just checks that block device reports bigger size than the mounted file system requires. If there's some extra space on the block device provided by CD or DVD it will attempt to mount it with the corresponding offset and check if KNOPPIX image is there. The block device provided by CD and DVD dirvers are the same so this solution is not specific for CD.

I hope this answers your question.
Good luck,
Igor

rabinhood
03-02-2005, 05:12 PM
I hope this bug will pacthed with the knoppix 3.8

lilsirecho
03-02-2005, 06:24 PM
Belyi;

Thanks for the reply and the description of the method made more vivid by your comments. The split of kernels produces 2GB for each kernel..total is the capacity of the DVD disc= ~4.4GB.

I originally utilized a re-master of a Cebit 3.4 DVD for my toram experiments. It is available on the Chemnitz FTP.ftp://ftp.tu-chemnitz.de/pub/linux/knoppix-remastered/ftp://ftp.tu-chemnitz.de/pub/linux/knoppix-remastered/

As I reported, I installed the minirt26.gz from the KnoppixCD with the linuxrc change for 3000KB ram. It performed in toram and utilized swap in experimenting with large video files (.vob). I believe that in toram mode, with 2GB of swap available, the ram portion transfers up to one half of total ram storage into swap when the ram limit is reached. It is interesting to watch the ram utilization in the status window.

Very little is available in DVD format for downloading although Klaus expects to release in summer 2005 a DVD version. I think it might be at the conference and not available for download.

The split format is worth a try.....it would probably permit placing the CD content on DVD media and allow the addition of 1.7GB of apps to either kernel.

This would enable the user to generate a DVD of the latest kernel versions and lots of apps...personalized.

Archlinux.org url has a listing of "current" and "extra" apps available in the OS (zsh is included). The present version is 0.7 "wombat".

I hope I have given the info you requested.

lilsirecho
03-02-2005, 07:38 PM
Generating a DVD from the latest CD with the split format should provide a 2.6 kernel with 2GB of added .cmg files , after booting, as well. These would be deleteable as a bonus.

belyi
03-04-2005, 04:52 PM
While playing with 3.7Gb compressed KNOPPIX image I run into problems with ash provided in minirt and cloop. I've updated the new-minirt26.gz to work around those problems.

And just for the record, here's the details of the problems:
1. ash built-in "test -f" command returns False on very big files. Luckily "test -r" still returns True and that's what I switch all tests for KNOPPIX to in linuxrc script.
2. cloop crashes and corrupts kernel when extra big file is specified as file= parameter during cloop load. Luckily specifying this file via ioclt call made by losetup does not have the same problem. I've change setup of the cloop image to have loading of the module and setting the file for /dev/cloop to work on as a separate steps.

Cheers,
Igor

P.S. Oh where, oh where the KNOPPIX developers list went.... :?:

belyi
03-05-2005, 04:05 AM
Just for the record. The following Debian bug report contains the patch addressing the cloop problem with loading large files at initialization:
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=298111

Igor

lilsirecho
03-07-2005, 02:43 AM
spent many hours attempting the test of the split system with limited success.

I performed the suffix on the downloaded Knoppix3.7.iso using the procedures you have outlined. I obtained a KNOPPIX-suffix.iso of size 703MB as setup during the procedure.

I then copied the .iso into a Directory named CD2. I opened this directory and delected the KNOPPIX directory. I then deleted minirt26.gz.

Following that, I entered your new-minir26.gz (renamed to minirt26.gz).

I ran the standard mkisofs commands to generate KNOPPIX-prefix.iso from the contents of CD2.

I then ran the concatenate commands to produce KNOPPIX-full.iso.

I burned that .iso in DVD+R/W and it had a partial boot using.....Knoppix26 myconfig=scan....

The error was ...cannot find filesystem.....

It seems there may not be a correct element in the suffix.iso.

Perhaps I should try the CD technique on the suffix.iso as well. The fact that it began the boot process suggests that the boot portion is correct in the prefix.iso.

I realize this doesn't provide a large recording but does enable a test of the idea.

The entire sequence was done in root.

Cheers
Ray

lilsirecho
03-07-2005, 03:51 AM
Performed the removal of "boot" directory in a copy of the Knoppix3.7CD made to folder CD3 in root.

Copied all other elements into CD3 except 'Boot".

Ran an abreviated mkisofs after trying the standard for 2.6 kernels. I reduced mkisofs to the following(which may not be correct)

mkisofs -pad -l -r -J -v -V "KNOPPIX" -hide-rr-moved -o /root/KNOPPIX-suffix1.iso /root/CD3

This produced KNOPPIX-suffix1.iso in root.

I ran the concatenate procedure on the two files KNOPPIX-prefix.iso and KNOPPIX-suffix1.iso to overwrite KNOPPIX-full.iso

This produced a 707.8MB DVD+R/W.

The boot was the same as before...cannot find filesystem...

Ray

lilsirecho
03-07-2005, 04:49 AM
Success!

I found that the Knoppix-full.iso I generated was misnamed so I ran it again thru k3b and re-burned the DVD+R/W which then produced a bootable DVD. Failed to work the first trial because I ran the failed .iso again!!

This is a 699MB Knoppix V3.7 running in kernel2.6 and responded to myconfig=scan.

It is essentially a rebuilt .iso with no changes except for the new-minirt26.gz that Belyi has kindly provided. I assume it provides the split parameters necessary for the 2GB per split additional apps.

Now I have to learn the ropes for adding apps to the system. (Assuming this is a split system with this method I have employed).

Perhaps someone can try loading apps using the Belyi ideas and report all about it.
Ray

lilsirecho
03-07-2005, 03:45 PM
Belyi;

I inserted the KNOPPIX folder from my DVD of 1.8GB into the KNOPPIX-suffix2.iso and burned a new DVD.

Unfortunately, the kernel wasn't able to handle the cloop system but it did try to boot up but with oodles of cloop errors.

Not much available for full sized DVD other than Linux Tag.

Must have to "roll ur own".====================

================================================== ================================================== =========================================
The Voice of America..cell phones....

lilsirecho
03-09-2005, 02:03 AM
Belyi advises that, yes the method I utilized produces a split format, but...it doesn't give a suffix.iso portion which has more than 2GB of capability.

The filesystem generated in his procedure permits the insertion of larger than 2GB apps as I understand the arrangement. (only understand partly!).

Belyi has plans to change minirt26.gz to enable an easier use of the split system...stay tuned!

belyi
03-11-2005, 11:34 PM
Ok, I'm back with a simpler method for a KNOPPIX splitted in two.

Here's the new minirt: ftp://belyi.ac93.org/pub/KNOPPIX/minirt26-knxapp.gz
The linuxrc diff file is here: ftp://belyi.ac93.org/pub/KNOPPIX/linuxrc-knxapp.patch
And the source of a small helper I used: ftp://belyi.ac93.org/pub/KNOPPIX/knxtest.c

The way you create a new KNOPPIX image is simple: rebuild bootable ISO image without compressed KNOPPIX file and with the new minirt26.gz, append this KNOPPIX file to the image padded to 2K if necessary and this is the image you would burn to CD.

So, if you have current KNOPPIX in KNOPPIX-3.7.iso file, the procedure will be something like this:
# mount -o loop KNOPPIX-3.7.iso /mnt/src
# mkdir newimage
# rsync -a --exclude=KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX /mnt/src/ newimage
# cp minirt26-knxapp.gz newimage/boot/isolinux/minirt26.gz
# mkisofs -pad -l -r -J -v -V "KNOPPIX" -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -b boot/isolinux/isolinux.bin -c boot/isolinux/boot.cat -hide-rr-moved -o KNOPPIX-prefix.iso newimage
# cat KNOPPIX-prefix.iso /mnt/src/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX > KNOPPIX-new.iso
# dd if=/dev/zero bs=1 count=`ls -l KNOPPIX-new.iso | awk '{pad=$5%2048; if(pad) pad=2048-pad; print pad;}'` >> KNOPPIX-new.iso

The last step is necessary only if your CD burning software complains about the image not aligned to 2K block.
I wasn't able to come up with a procedure simpler than that. :smile:

Hope you like it.
Cheers,
Igor

lilsirecho
03-12-2005, 12:43 AM
Belyi;

Pleased to hear fro you this day and surprised that the system is so simple!

Will give it a go and let yopu know how it performs.

Tried out Puppy Linux while you were away and found it intriguing.

Now I will get to work!!!

lilsirecho
03-12-2005, 02:01 AM
Belyi:

The procedure produced a bootable DVD+RW disc that has a slow install for KDE. Myconfig is correct, internet OK.

The procedure was modified a small amount to permit it to run. The download of minirt26 generated a file in /tmp/kde-root with a coded ID. I changed it with RENAME to the specified...minirt26-knxapp.gz.

Rather than move the file, I changed the cp command; thus

cp /tmp/kde-root/minirt26-knxapp.gz newimage/boot/isolinux/minirt26.gz

No problem with mkisofs nor the burn with K3b.

I assume that this procedure will allow a large install >2GB in the concatenate step if a compatible kernel related KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX file is sustituted for the file that exists during the previous steps in /mnt/src..... before the cat step is initiated.

I appreciate this very much and am certainly thankful for your able guidance through the process.

There seems to be a great deal of interest in this activity and it certainly came out simplified!!!

Please make any pertinent comments on my effort...

belyi
03-15-2005, 10:31 PM
For those who still interested - I've updated the linuxrc variant allowing compressed image to be appended to the boot image of KNOPPIX to work with KNOPPIX 3.8:

Patch for linuxrc: ftp://belyi.ac93.org/pub/KNOPPIX/linuxrc-3.8-knxapp.patch
New minirt.gz: ftp://belyi.ac93.org/pub/KNOPPIX/minirt-3.8.gz

The procedure is the same as previously with just one difference - you need to update minirt.gz since there's no minirt26.gz in KNOPPIX 3.8

Cheers,
Igor

lilsirecho
03-16-2005, 08:03 AM
Belyi;

Performed the split format on Knoppix3.8 Cebit successfully.

Many thanks for your able support.

lilsirecho
03-27-2005, 02:46 AM
Progress, but not complete with added apps.

Burned a DVD+RW with added apps but it hangs with X displayed on screen, and no KDE.

The iso is 792MB and was generated with the "split".iso method of Belyi.

The procedure I used to get the .iso generated was derived from a method posted by Sunil Thomas Thonikuzhiyilhttp://www.linuxgazette.com/issue87/sunil.html http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue87/sunil.html

It was done in Kde using Knoppix3.8 Cebit.

My system has 2GB RAM, about 50GB of HDD space in Linux and a 2GB swap partition.

The procedure:

1. # mount /dev/hda3 /mnt/hda3
2. # cp -Rp /KNOPPIX /mnt/hda3/ ###/KNOPPIX is in root EDIT: Rp was RP ..../mnt/hda3/ ,,,was /mnt/hda3
3. # chroot /mnt/hda3/KNOPPIX
4. # mount -t proc /proc proc
5. # cd /etc #### to verify or change the nameserver
6. # Joe resolv.conf ####edit nameserver with desired editor save and exit
7.# cd return
8. # ping yahoo.com ### verify correct internet access
9. # apt-get update
9. #apt-get install amarok geomview enlightenment cinepaint digikam festival kweather #### just enough for testing procedures
10.#umount /proc
11.Control D
12. # cd /mnt/hda3
13. # mkdir NEWCD
14. # cd return
15. # cp Knoppix3.8 CDROM to NEWCD #### may require changing permissions with chmod 777
16. # mv NEWCD KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX (subdirectory) to desktop ######Edit: original KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX removed from NEWCD.KNOPPIX remains
17. # mkisofs -R /mnt/hda3/KNOPPIX | create_compressed_fs - 65536 > /mnt/hda3/NEWCD/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX....###Edit: adds larger /KNOPPIX file to NEWCD.

This procedure created a 792MB CD file.

I utilized the NEWCD file in my normal Linux OS to generate an iso for use in the Belyi procedure........

1. # mkisofs -pad -l -r -J -v -V "KNOPPIX" -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -b boot/isolinux/isolinux.bin -c boot/isolinux/boot.cat -hide-rr-moved -o KNOPPIX.iso /NEWCD
2. # mount -o loop KNOPPIX.iso(from above) /mnt/src ##### this provides the expanded "split" .iso for the Belyi concatenation step, providing
the /KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX file therein.

My attempt ended with a boot to X in center of screen, internet access in root/tty4 and no KDE.

Perhaps I need a change in xorgconfig?

Harry Kuhman
03-27-2005, 03:17 AM
...The iso is 792MB and was generated with the "split".iso method of Belyi.
Can you give a link to this "Belyi method" that you write of? I'm not having much luck with a Google search.

lilsirecho
03-27-2005, 03:53 AM
The Belyi procedure is in this forum item a few posts back. And even further back for the Knoppix 3.7 details.

It involves changing minirt.gz in the boot prefix.iso and utilizing a linear map procedure for the KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX file as the second of the "split".iso.

There are several posts by Belyi, the latest covers Knoppix3.8Cebit and the previous case he presented included a minirt26.gz for Knoppix3.7 Either of the two has produced a bootable "split" format.

My recent effort was to change the size of the Knoppix3.8Cebit to test the effect on the "split" performance. It is tantamount to a re-master but includes a "split" .iso as well.

It has the potential of producing a fully utilized DVD disc at 4.4GB...enuff to choke on!!!! It might take a month of eight hour days to "find" compatible apps which total ~9GB uncompressed!!!!

I ran seven apps in Unionfs with the 3.8Knoppix CD to ensure they were compatible before proceeding with my effort.

Perhaps they messed up my display parameters to cause the loss of any useable display. Mouse and keybd (usb) ok and ping OK. Just a big X, moveable!!!

lilsirecho
03-27-2005, 07:12 PM
Re-generated the remaster with the wiki mkisofs routine.....mkisofs -R -U -V etc.......

Now the new "split" .iso burn boots to...LINUX IN USE but an x error message says ...couldn't start kde init.....

Do I need a new mkisofs routine for Knoppix3.8 kernel 2.6.11?

Perhaps a fix is available?

belyi
03-28-2005, 04:51 AM
I agree that "Belyi method" sounds confusing. For example, calling it knxapp gives much better result in google.

Lilsirecho, according to your description of the problem - the boot itself works fine but the startup of programs got mixed up.

According to what I saw in KNOPPIX, the startup files living in /etc/rc?.d directories are hand crafted and when there's a new one got added by upgrade or installation of an application it results in great confusion. What I would recommend to do after the upgrade - remove all /etc/rc?.d directories and copy them again from the original copy of the KNOPPIX. This will probably prevent your new applications to be launched at the startup time (in case they require it) but at least it should bring you to the same state which the original KNOPPIX did. You can always start your new applications afterwards.

Hope it helps,
Igor

lilsirecho
03-28-2005, 05:56 AM
Belyi;

Your suspicions are probably right.

It is strange that the programs ran ok when downloaded from Debian in Unionfs but can't run after full install. A messed up rc directory would make sense.

It brings up a question. How can a remaster boot correctly if such a thing happens? I may have to change how I add programs...say, get permission to load!!!!!

I feel that apt-get install should take care of the details and it did with Unionfs, putting the program into kdemenu(s).

Since it does install to Kdemenu, the probability is that it also hits other kde elements as well.

The mechanics of performing the removal of /etc/rc.d and subsequent install of the original is a big exercise in dual mounts of 790 MB each.

This problem will erupt every time I load new programs as far as I can tell if it is the /etc/rc.d directory.

It is kdeinit that does not start so its related to the init 5 steps.

I think I need to retry. I can select some other programs in a retry but have to uninstall those I have already in file. Another exercise1

Thanks for your support......

lilsirecho
03-29-2005, 06:48 AM
IBelyi;
Reviewed the remaster setup many times, performed many iterations and concluded with essentially the same thing I ended up with the first time. Kde does not initiate.

I made an iso with 748MB of apps and burned the iso. It booted to kde and the new apps were present in the KDE menu.

I used the prefix.iso generated earlier from the Knoppix3.8 CEBit and entered this new .iso via /mnt/src after mount -o loop and performed the cat concatenation.

Perhaps I have a problem with XFree by utilizing an .iso produced at a later time or maybe a time-stamp mixup.

I made a big effort to give this a second trial and know that the .iso I generated with added apps runs correctly. It is burned to DVD+RW.

The concatenation does not permit KDE to initialize. I used one less app, dropping kweather.

Can't decide what to do next...

lilsirecho
03-29-2005, 04:55 PM
Possibly the html file contains a clue to the difficulty?

EDIT: Perhaps a language problem? Font? Time and date? Myconfig--persistent home language? Boot log?

Seems likely it is in the boot ...prefix.iso.

Md5 mismatch?

Speak softly..use braille.

lilsirecho
04-03-2005, 06:59 AM
When faced with difficulties in performing Knoppix/Linux procedures, it is often a case of making errors.

In this case wherein I attempted to add programs to Knoppix3.8Cebit edition, I made errors in applying the re-mastering which affected the outcome.

I cleaned out my files and re-performed the whole shebang.

Lo! and behold...it worked. KDE came up and had all the new programs in the menu. The total size of the .iso is 748MB which was burned to DVD+RW at speed 4.

I am indebted to Belyi for his knxapp.gz procedure(s) and his patient replies to my questions.

I have outlined the procedure I used in a previous post as regards the remastering. The re-mastered .iso generated by the added apps is entered into /mnt/src to enable the concatenation with the KNOPPIX-prefix.iso and thus generates a KNOPPIX-full.iso having the new apps.

This procedure permits the addition of ~3.7GB of apps to the DVD burn (if you have the HDD space and the time to do the loading!!!!) :lol:

I regret having made all the errors :oops:

Hope this post helps another user to add to the KNOPPIX3.7 or 3.8 (either or both). The mkisofs routines are correct for these releases.

Good luck to users trying this means to make a larger than CD KNOPPIX burn!!

lilsirecho
04-05-2005, 03:28 AM
Operated the "split".iso with 748MB of apps in TORAM mode.

I had to utilize 3GB of RAM to enable the loading TORAM to occur. It required more than 2GB to respond to TORAM loading.

TORAM loaded in ~4min 35sec.

Operation was faster than normal and those programs tested ran well.

I look forward to the summer release of a KNOPPIX DVD.

lilsirecho
04-22-2005, 05:54 PM
After many attempts to use Video files to enhance the size of the KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX file, I decided to reverse my approach.

I entered the Video into the "prefix" newimage file before running the mkisofs command.

I entered too much Video in the first trial and it generated a concatenated file too large for the DVD disc.

I cut back to 2.4GB of Video in the Video directory I added to the newimage/KNOPPIX file.

I then ran the mkisofs routine to generate KNOPPIX-prefix.iso.

Having already made the "suffix" .iso , I entered it into /mnt/src.... mount -o loop KNOPPIX-suffix.iso /mnt/src

I then ran cat KNOPPIX-prefix.iso /mnt/src/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX > KNOPPIX-final.iso.

This .iso was burned to DVD+RW in k3b.

The resultant DVD booted in 3minutes 39 seconds to KONQEROR display in desktop.

The video files are found in the CDROM under KNOPPIX directory/VIDEO subdirectory. They can be copied to /Desktop to eliminate the access delay from CDROM. When played from Desktop they are in RAM.

The DVD disc is nearly fully burned, perhaps 3/16 inch of radius left on the disc which is not yet burned.

The DVD has cloop, uncompressed video, UNIONFS, and Klik.cmg all operable from a LiveDVD capable of full 4.4GB write space.

The test performed confirms that the DVD can be loaded to full capability using the "split.iso" method and if the files are compressed in /KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX will produce a LiveDVD with 9GB of applications.

I ran....df -h.... and received the following:

__________________Device Size Used Avail Use Mounted On________________________________________________ ______

root 3.4M 17K 3.4M 1% /
Devhdc 3.2G 3.2G 0 100% /CDROM
Devcloop 1.9G 1.9G 0 100% /KNOPPIX
ramdisk 1.6G 23M 1.6G 2% /ramdisk
UNIONFS 7.9G 5.5G 2.4G 71% /UNIONFS

This LiveDVD demonstrates the use of compressed and uncompressed files together with Klik.cmg capability on a single bootable media with capability exceeding 9GB when using all file systems provided.

lilsirecho
04-29-2005, 05:06 AM
While booted in Knoppix v3.8, I created two .iso's of the /KNOPPIX /knoppix file, each with a different name.

I had previously generated a Knoppix-prefix.iso with modified minirt.gz per previous posts in this thread which I would concatenate with these as follows;

First, I concatenated the two identical .iso files (content identical) into a third .iso which listed as 1.4GB (twice the single KNOPPIX file size). Call it KNOPPIX3.iso....

Secondly, I concatenated the KNOPPIX-prefix.iso with the KNOPPIX3.iso.. as below;

cat KNOPPIX-prefix.iso KNOPPIX3.iso > Knoppix-final.iso

I burned the Knoppix-final .iso. It reported 4.6MB properties(Yes, 4.6MB=prefix size). Burned to DVD+RW 4x media.

I booted the DVD and had to make entries to get X and KDE running as follows;

/etc/init.d/xsession start
root# exec startx

The system then booted to Kde. I had to make internet connection via the ..network card configuration but it had all the necessary static IP and nameserver data installed. Operation following the initiation of internet was normal.

Obviously, the reported 4.6MB in properties on the DVD is only that part of the DVD which is recognized by the normal filesize utility. The "mapped" KNOPPIX files are not reported. Obviously, they are present because the KDE desktop and apps are all present. Equally obvious is that both of the KNOPPIX files are not active, at least not to my knowledge...AFAIK.

It seems apparent that if the KNOPPIX3.iso were provided with 4.3GB of apps that the result would be a fully loaded DVD disc but that it would be represented in the properties as a 4.6MB DVD! This may or may not be true when the size of the KNOPPIX.iso exceeds 2GB.

Next step...make a new .iso with two more concatenated /KNOPPIX files!

Speak softly..use braille..

Sign in vets office: Back in ten minutes. SIT STAY!

lilsirecho
04-29-2005, 06:50 AM
FWIW, I added two additional segments of KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX to increase the burn to 2.797GB.

The resultant burn produced a DVD+RW with properties of 4.6MB but the DVD has burned 2.797GB on the surface of the media.

This is characteristic of a "mapped" burn. It doesn't show KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX file on the DVD. The mapping is established by the minirt.gz change to V3.8 in the prefix.iso as stated previously.

It would seem possible to cat together, as I have done, numerous segments totalling a full sized DVD and having a net content which is an actual single KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX file of large proportions.

This is accomplished with techniques described previously in this thread by "split"technique, loop technique and crypt techniques (device-mapper) which can be applied to a large uncompressed KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX file.

AFAIK it should work but I haven't a clue as to how to use crypt (no encryption but utilize it with "none").

I write this while booted on the DVD. It boots as quickly as a normal boot of Knoppix v3.8 but I would expect it to
be longer if the full DVD was filled with a single /KNOPPIX file. It now has four identical /KNOPPIX files.

I guess I just have to fool around with KNOPPIX and not get bored!!!!!

Maybe the other three files can be addressed with cheatcodes even to the point of booting other versions? Probably not due to the prefix.iso being involved.

I have to try adding to the mix, just for fun!!!

lilsirecho
05-29-2005, 07:48 AM
I reasoned that I should be able to modify the KNOPPIX.iso to allow a full 4.4GB of stored programs if I modified the procedure generating a prefix and a suffix .iso.

Thus; if I modify the suffix.iso by using the re-mastering procedure, I can load 2GB of program material into the suffix.iso and that is a compatible level of storage for a DVD+RW disc.

Then; the prefix .iso can be modified (the minirt.gz changed to the Belyi provided minirt.gz as one element of change), by adding either uncompressed files or CMG compressed files to the KNOPPIX directory prior to running it through mkisofs.

I performed the following in generating a prefix.iso with both compressed and uncompressed programs:

Copied the KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX file from the booted KNOPPIX v 3.8.2 per the remaster procedure.
cp -RP /KNOPPIX /mnt/hdb3/.... this is cloop decompressed into /mnt/hdb3...

Re-booted to my archlinux system to enable preparation of the prefix.iso. .
Created ..newimage..folder in /mnt/hdb3

Copied the contents of the KNOPPIX v 3.8 CD into the newimage folder..

Deleted the KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX file from newimage.

Deleted the minirt.gz file from newimage and replaced it with the minirt.gz file obtained from Belyi for the 3.8 KNOPPIX version.

Entered the uncompressed KNOPPIX in /mnt/hdb3 in the KNOPPIX directory of newimage. ( this is a file of about 1.7GB).

Created a folder in Desktop called CMG and entered several CMG compressed files into it.

Entered the CMG folder into the newimage KNOPPIX directory.

Ran the following mkisofs routine:

mkisofs -pad -l -r -v -V "KNOPPIX" -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -b boot/isolinux/isolinux.bin -c boot/isolinux/boot.cat -hide-rr-moved -o /mnt/hdb3/KNOPPIX-prefix.iso /mnt/hdb3/newimage...........NOTE; no -J

The two .iso files were then concatenated:

(The suffix .iso was re-mastered in an earlier step and I find it convenient to just run the /KNOPPIX file in the
concatenation) This file could be copied into /mnt/hdb3 as well.

Thus, I do: cat /mnt/hdb3/KNOPPIX-prefix.iso /mnt/hdb3/KNOPPIX > /mnt/hdb3/KNOPPIX-final.iso EDIT: Properties=2.6GB

( This procedure differs from the /mnt/src/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX as provided in Belyi's listing).

The result in my case was burned with DVD+RW media in k3b and booted correctly to KDE desktop.

I obtained access to the cdrom via /home/devices and opened the device. KNOPPIX directory held the uncompressed KNOPPIX and CMG folders which responded to selection by the mouse. The cmg files performed correctly and many games were accessed in the KNOPPIX uncompressed files.

This experiment proves that this method could provide for full-size 4.4GB LiveDVD with either 2GB in the normal KNOPPIX file and 2.4GB in the prefix .iso or leave the KNOPPIX file alone and load 3.7GB in to the prefix.iso. EDIT; the KNOPPIX file is the KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX file.

The device mapper introduced by the minirt.gz modification of the prefix.iso introduces the peculiarity that the KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX file no longer is present in an examination of the DVD contents in the normal way.

It should be possible to use other compression schemes in the prefix.iso besides CMG.

I haven't tried cloop in the prefix. EDIT: it would likely limit the added files to 2GB in the prefix. Perhaps cloop will be modified for DVD version?

This method doe not require splitting the uncompressed.iso and running compression routines on the splitted files and then doing loop procedures and device mapping.
The minirt.gz provides the necessary divider to permit full DVD involvement and thus the method doesn't actually require re-mastering the KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX file, just modify the prefix.iso.

Placing apt-get install programs in the prefix.iso probably won't. The prefix needs compressed files similar to CMG for best use of the DVD storage space in a LIVEDVD.
EDIT: Be aware that the ID for the booted DVD will likely be.....devicemappercdromcdrom...as it is in my system.

EDIT" I cannot find UNIONFS in the uncompressed KNOPPIX file added to the prefix. I wonder how it is handled in a cloop copy routine?

lilsirecho
06-21-2005, 04:29 AM
Latest news indicates a release of KNOPPIX 4.0 on DVD, stating that 9GB of uncompressed data is provided.

This willl be a big, big.big KNOPPIX release!!!!

It might be that the cloop file is provided at twice 2GB...thus is set at 4GB. This would accomodate systems limited to 4GB FAT related setups.

Actual full sized DVD is 4.4GB.

Harry Kuhman
06-21-2005, 04:48 AM
It might be that the cloop file is provided at twice 2GB...thus is set at 4GB. This would accomodate systems limited to 4GB FAT related setups.
No, the cloop at 4 gb would not help. An iso bigger than 4 gig will be a problem to burn for anyone with FAT partitions.

lilsirecho
06-21-2005, 05:04 AM
In the normal CD, the cloop file is set at 2GB which is approx 1.8GB of KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX file uncompressed. (700MB CD size).

If the cloop were doubled to 4GB, then twice 1.8GB is available for the normal system loadup.

If device mapper were then used, the same loading would apply to a second 4GB cloop file.

Another way to state it is provide four separate cloop files of 2GB and use device mapper to enable loading at 2GB per compressed file and have four files.

lilsirecho
06-22-2005, 04:33 AM
An observation concerning DVD capability.

Should the device mapper be utilized on the DVD, a concatenated set of five cloop compressed files would produce 9GB of programs while utilizing 4GB of DVD disc space.

Reasoning: each cloop file produces a 700MB CD which has 1.8GB of program data. Five such files of compressed cloop data would therefore be five times 1.8GB which is 9GB. Five compressed cloops of 700MB is 3.5GB, below the 4GB breakdown point.

Perhaps there is a hole in my reasoning?

lilsirecho
06-23-2005, 02:04 AM
As of 6pm PST this day, no report of KNOPPIX DVD 4.0 on OSNews.

UnderScore
06-23-2005, 02:15 AM
As of 6pm PST this day, no report of KNOPPIX DVD 4.0 on OSNews.I should hope not. The last thing we need is people posting "Where is the ISO?". Then when they figure out that there is a bittorrent of it, they all jump on it & clog the torrent with leechers. Based on my past bittorrent downloads (this is VERY subjective & based on my broadband connection), A well seeded A 4GB ISO (about 1:1 ratio of seeds to leeches) takes about 2 days to download. A poorly seeded 4GB ISO (1:20 or even 1:50) takes just about a week. I would prefer that we first get the torrent well seeded & distributed around the world before the rest of the net finds it.

lilsirecho
06-25-2005, 02:44 AM
Spent over a day downloading KNOPPIX 4.0 DVD via bittorrent only to get an error message saying " you must be downloading two files". After another half hour of retry, received the following;
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/BitTorrent/RawServer.py", line 385, in _make_wrapped_call
function(*args)
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/khashmir/krpc.py", line 63, in data_came_in
c.datagramReceived(datagram, addr)
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/khashmir/krpc.py", line 154, in datagramReceived
df.callback({'rsp' : msg[RSP], '_krpc_sender': addr})
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/khashmir/defer.py", line 32, in callback
self.doCallbacks([result], self.callbacks)
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/khashmir/defer.py", line 43, in doCallbacks
result = cb(result, *args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/khashmir/utkhashmir.py", line 45, in checkSender
d = knode.KNodeBase.checkSender(self, dict)
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/khashmir/knode.py", line 31, in checkSender
self.table.insertNode(self, contacted=1)
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/khashmir/khashmir.py", line 172, in insertNode
old = self.table.insertNode(n, contacted=contacted)
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/khashmir/ktable.py", line 107, in insertNode
assert node.id != NULL_ID
AssertionError
Cannot appreciate the bittorrent error messages!!

lilsirecho
06-27-2005, 12:10 AM
Solved the bittorrent problem by downloading the version 4.1.2 of bittorrent.

Mirror in archlinux did not have the latest so had to change mirror to get the correct version.

Should finish download tomorrow am.

lilsirecho
06-27-2005, 03:29 PM
Finished download of DVD, burned, and booted. Had to boot lang=us with german keybd "shift 0" entry for "=".

The background for DVD 4.0 is a time lapse photo of auto lights at dusk or nightime perhaps on the autobahn. If taken at 120mph or more, maybe time-lapse isn't necessary!!!!

The operations seem slower than the CD versions of KNOPPIX I am accustomed to using.

I was unable to use "myconfig=scan" because the boot-up ended with a solid "X" and no KDE.***********

I assume I may have to generate a new config file for the DVD**********.

I would appreciate any comment on that issue.*****************

The KDE start-up was slow in comparison to the normal CD.

I was able to enter internet params and gain access.

I left the bittorrent upload open all night.

Lots and lots to look at on the DVD which neeeeeearly fills the disc!! Might take as long as a week to examine the available programs.!!

Screenshots have been posted in the forums.

lilsirecho
06-28-2005, 05:53 AM
Klaus reports he will announce the official release of both the cd and DVD versions when the CD version is prepped.

The unionfs is used in formatting the DVD version which utilizes an additional KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX file to provide the "maxi" compressed DVD.

Re-mastering shpould also be possible if each of the /KNOPPIX files are below 2GB since the arrangement "splits" the program complement into two 2GB files. Data included in the "normal" /KNOPPIX provides for the boot function and the other /KNOPPIX does not include the boot data.

The process is similar to the prefix/suffix which I have been studying (without the cloop capability required).

In all cases the Kernel (and probably the cloop) must be the same as the DVD.iso...2.6.11.....

lilsirecho
06-28-2005, 06:37 PM
One observation concerning th LIVE DVD 4.0 is that it is compatible with klik cmg system.

If one desires, OPERA is available in cmg format and can be installed via klik.

If it is installed, it can be executed far faster than the DVD included "firefox".

This characteristic should prevail for all cmg-related files.

lilsirecho
07-05-2005, 02:00 AM
I found that myconfig was not responding from my hdd. Re-installed myconf and now all is well.

Cusromized the DVD for english and auto start-up by editing isolinux.cfg and re-burn.

lilsirecho
07-11-2005, 02:52 PM
For unknown reason, the internet access of myconf does not execute in DVD 4.0.

The data is present when the card config is re-entered.

Any ideas?