PDA

View Full Version : No Lan connection - ASUS A4P800 mainboard

candtalan
02-18-2005, 10:18 AM
The asus PC has an onboard (integral) NIC and this is not recognised (Knoppix 3.7). The PC is used normally on a lan through a switch & then router with adsl internet connection. Both 'doze and suse work ok on this pc (dual boot).

I used bios setup to disable the onboard nic and added a pci nic which was recognised. dhcp was unsucessful, but it seemed to set up ok with fixed ip. However, nothing I could do led to a lan or internet connection. I changed the nic to another pci nic, and similarly - no success, although the different PCI nic again was recognised.

In each case, the pc worked ok on lan and internet with suse and 'doze.

There are a couple of other PCs on the lan nearby and the knoppix cd worked fine in each of them, with dhcp (no setting up!).

from the asus, there is no response at all from ping to the router IP. It just sits with no message after

ping 192.168.1.1
[return]

Starting up with nic which is recognised - messages on screen include
etho 0: etho 0 NIC link is UP 100mbps full duplex

and shutting down, messages include
shutting down network device etho 0

so knoppix seems to know NIC is there ok.

When using mozilla browser on the asus to try to connect to the router with its 'web configurator' I get message
'Login to the router web configurator:
The connection was refused when attempting to contact 192.168.1.1'
[which is the ip]

*refused* ? This all seems very strange to me. I have found nothing similar on google.

The router is a Vigor 2600 (draytek) adsl router with 4 rj45 ports

I wondered if the problem is related to the onboard nic function, even though it is disabled?

Any ideas please? tia :cry: