PDA

View Full Version : My WinXP couldn't boot after trying to install Slackware10

Oceany
02-18-2005, 03:07 PM
I had a PC with WInXP OS, it has a single Hard Disk with exsisting partitions(fat32) like this:

hda1

hda5

hda6

Before I tried to install Slackware, I allocated all free space on HD to creat 2 partitions by QTparted: hda3 (ext2), hda4 (linux Swap), but the installation process halted accidentlly when I setup linux swap partition that I had to exit installation, as you can guess, bad thing happened: My WinXP OS can't boot any more.

When i tried to reboot into windows, it froze after windows xp logo appeared. then I tried to boot in WINXP safemode, failed, tried to do a system restore to the last restore point; also failed, only made computer stopped and rebooted, stopped and rebooted, time and again...

What can I do now? How can i rescue my OS with knoppix? any help would be appreciated. btw: I've search all forums here on this topic, but havnen't got the answer:(

sakiZ
02-18-2005, 08:26 PM
Sounds like your MBR got trashed during the install. Lilo probably wrote over it.

You need to get out you XP install CD and boot from it.

You will need to do a repair (type R)

on the installation by getting into the command console.

When you get into the command console use the command "FixMBR" It will re-write the MBR back.

sakiZ