PDA

View Full Version : Able to dual boot XP and linux but Linux goes to GRUB, help

istoleapig
02-18-2005, 10:10 PM
I installed bootmagic as a last resort, thinkign it would let me onto linux again, but it just takes me to grub (which i now realised ive installed to my linux partition) , and i cant use grub at all..

Now i cant get onto linux to change it to Lilo or something, or just have it boot from Bootmagic...

if that makes sense to you...

EDIT- Through perserverance and the help of the many websites and forums i worked out how to fix this - just used the knoppix CD and installed lilo. Mods, you can remove this :P cheers!

Jansi
02-19-2005, 04:30 AM
Just curious (as a recent switcher from LILO to GRUB): what did LILO do that GRUB wasn't succeeding at?

Also, which KNOPPIX CD did you boot from? I ask because LILO not working on 3.7 was the inital reason for my switch to GRUB.

jjmac
02-19-2005, 09:28 AM
>>
I installed bootmagic as a last resort, thinkign it would let me onto linux again, but it just takes me to grub (which i now realised ive installed to my linux partition) , and i cant use grub at all..
>>

I get the feeling there must be something missing from the beginning of your post.

If your Linux partition was within Bios range, you could have just done a fdisk /mbr from Win, then set it "active" and you would have had a nice clean setup.

jm