PDA

View Full Version : text color 'shifted' in XFree86 4.3 and Mozilla 1.3

garyng
04-06-2003, 02:41 AM
Hi, is there any XFree86 expert here that may give me some clue what happens ?

The text in Mozilla 1.3(for certain font type) seems to have the color 'shifted' in a sense like the RGB doesn't fall on the same pixel position at the same time so say for example character 'H', I can see a 'blue' for the left 'I' and and 'red' for the right 'I'.

I suspect this has something to to with the horizontal sync of the monitor. My machine is a LCD on i810(Inspiron 2500 notebook). I didn't see this in XFree86 4.2 with Mozilla 1.2(in the KNOPPIX CEBIT ISO image). It is very annoying.

Loper
04-06-2003, 03:02 AM
The text in Mozilla 1.3 (for certain font type) seems to have the color 'shifted' in a sense like the RGB doesn't fall on the same pixel position at the same time so say for example character 'H', I can see a 'blue' for the left 'I' and and 'red' for the right 'I'.
I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure that it's an artifact of the anti-aliasing in XF 4.3 -- I'm experiencing the same thing on my system. Maybe we can find the configuration to modify this behavior.

garyng
04-06-2003, 03:22 AM
So it is a bug in XF86 4.3 ? Unfortunately, this is the most mysterious piece of software in the linux world I know. Its developers is fighting with each other at the moment and there isn't much information I can find on their website :-)

monkymind
04-06-2003, 04:50 AM
I've the same problem. Improved it a little by going to the fonts section of the Control Panel, selecting "Use sub-pixel hinting" and choosing the "Vertical RGB" option.

Doesn't fix the problem simple changes the colour shift vertically and make it a bit easier to read <shrug!>

rob

garyng
04-06-2003, 07:21 AM
thanks for the suggestion, it looks a bit better but still quite annoying. What is more interesting is that, Anit-Aliasing is not enabled when I launch the control panel but Mozilla still use it. Well, it only applies to certain fonts and I don't know if it is a problem of 4.3 or Mozilla 1.3 as KNOPPIX changed both at the same time.

garyng
04-06-2003, 10:15 AM
OK. I fall back to the CEBIT image and it seems that Mozilla 1.2 use a complete different set of font than in 1.3. It used adobe-* stuff, it looks much nicer.

Now can I use these fonts instead of those in the new XF 4.3 ones that looks so ugly and annoying ?