PDA

View Full Version : Bug in Knoppix (or KDE?) - Min/Max/Close Buttons Disapear!

Nick889
02-19-2005, 03:37 AM
I am pretty sure that this is a bug and not something of my own doing but if I am wrong, please correct me. Every so often when using knoppix all of a sudden the window buttons in the title bar such as minimize, maximize and close, all go away! They are just gone!

I can still alter the windows by right clicking and selecting the option, but thats very annoying to have them disapear like this. Only way I've been able to fix it is by doing a full reboot. Even ending the current session does not work and this bug happens to all windows at the same time; so its just not just one program.

I am using Knoppix 3.7-2004-12-08_EN (Debian Based HD Install on ext2 disk)

I am unsure if it is a bug in Debian, Knoppix or KDE. Any help is appreciated. Also even if you don't know the answer to my question... if this has happened to you before by all means post. I would feel better knowing I am not the only one to expierence this and it may very well be a possible bug. I'll try playing with it and see if the problem occurs in both the 2.4 and 2.6 kernerl versions. This is what appears in LILO in the way of Linux versions. Confirmed means the bug occurs in that version.

LILO Boot Loader

Linux - [confirmed]
Linux 2.4 [confirmed]
Linux 2.6 [unknown - will test]

UPDATE:

I have found a temporary fix for this bug. You have to manually add the buttons through the Control center, but atleast it works.

K-Menu >> Control Center >> Select "Apperance and Themes" from the menu at the left >> select "Window Decorations" >> Select the Buttons Tab at the top >> drag the min/max/close buttons to the title bar shown in the menu in the order you wish to have them

harken
02-19-2005, 11:08 AM
Yeah, I had the same problem while playing around with the Control Center. Indeed, the solution (at least for me it worked) is to get back the buttons from Window decorations then hit Apply. Or, if you want to tweak more, save all the configuration as a theme.