PDA

View Full Version : tohd & bootfrom cheatcodes won't work

yeus
02-19-2005, 04:29 AM
I want to use my knoppix Cd for recovering windows. Only Problem is: I can't use those cheatcodes mentioned above I alread tried it in every possible combination using both versions of the kernel (i'm using knoppix 3.7). My first guess is that something seems to be wrong with my partition table. (I got two partitions one fat32[hda1] and ntfs[hda2]
using the default kernel of knoppix (NO linux26 option) i'm not able to find my partitions on hda at all. though knoppix works perfect.
with the linux26 cheatcode, i'm able to mount partitions.... but only from the kde desktop and not during booting. With Kernel 2.4xx the programm "qtparted" is able to recognize the hda. But no partitions of it.
I copied an .iso -image of knoopix to /dev/hda1/k3b_0.iso to use the bootfrom=/dev/hda1/k3b_0.iso cheatcode. And I get this error:

mount: special device /dev/hda1/ dos not exist
(a path prefix is not a directory)

with version 2.4 of the kernel it says, that mounting stopped, because it could not decide what filesystem /dev/hda1 had.
(or does this maybe refer to the .iso image?)

using the tohd=/dev/hda1/ cheatcode doesnt work at all for both versions of the kernel, it says in either case, it was not able to mount /dev/hda1/ w/o giving a reason

I checked my partitions with sfdisk and get this output:

Disk /dev/hda: 72234 cylinders, 16 heads, 63 sectors/track
Warning: extended partition does not start at a cylinder boundary.
DOS and Linux will interpret the contents differently.
Warning: The partition table looks like it was made
for C/H/S=*/255/63 (instead of 72234/16/63)
For this listing I'll assume that geometry.
Units = cylinders of 8225280 bytes, blocks of 1024 bytes, counting from 0

device boot Start End #sectors ID System
/dev/hda1 * 0+ 636 637- 5116671 b W95 FAT32
/dev/hda2 637 4530 3894 31278555 f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/hda3 0 - 0 0 0 Leer
/dev/hda4 0 - 0 0 0 Leer
/dev/hda5 637+ 4530 3894- 31278523+ 7 HPFS/NTFS

don't know if thre is anything wrong, but when i'm trying to change something in my partition using the partition programm "qtparted" it will crash just by looking up the information on my harddisk. Some Time ago, I completly ceaned my harddisk from everything. And After that I made a new partition table during winXP installtion. Before I did that, I never had any Problems with knoppix (I'm using a samsung XTC 10 notebook at 1.4 GHz, but that shouldn't be the problem;)

thx for any help!