PDA

View Full Version : My USB flash disk can't be a persistant homedir!

luke35
02-19-2005, 11:45 AM
Hello,
I have a problem with Knoppix 3.7 and my USB key (512 MB PQI).
I used to have Knoopix 3.4 and my USB key was working fine ; its icon was appearing on the desktop as soon as I plugged it.
But since version 3.7 my usb key doesn't appear on the desktop.
However I can access and write to it as root (in /mnt/buba).
My problem is the following : I want to create a persistant knoppix home directory.
I start the script but at the step when I have to select a partition for the homedir, Knoppix doesn't let me choose my USB key, I juste have the list of the hard disk partitions.
Did someone have the same problem ?

Here are some additionnal information :

The content of /etc/fstab :

# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/uba /mnt/uba vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppi x 0 0

I checked with the "dmesg" command :

usb 2-2: new full speed USB device using address 2
uba: device 2 capacity nsec 50 bsize 512
uba: made changed
uba: device 2 capacity nsec 1023488 bsize 512
uba: device 2 capacity nsec 1023488 bsize 512
uba: unknown partition table
uba: unknown partition table

My USB key has been formated under Windows (FAT32 format).

Thank you very much.

nitropowered
02-20-2005, 11:49 PM
First find the script mkpersistenthome. It should be in the directory /KNOPPIX/usr/sbin

Then copy that to the desktop or a writeable location as the directory that it resides is part of the cd, not the ramdisk. Then open it up and look for...

for i in `awk '/^\/dev\/[hs]d[a-z].*\/mnt\/[hs]d[a-z]/{if(!/ntfs/){print $1}}' /etc/fstab`; do

It should be line 87

change that to

for i in `awk '/^\/dev\/[hsu][bd][a-z].*\/mnt\/[hsu][bd][a-z]/{if(!/ntfs/){print $1}}' /etc/fstab`; do

now the script will look for volumes hb[a-z] hd[a-z] sb[a-z] sd[a-z] ub[a-z] ud[a-z]. You only really need to take out the [hs]d[a-z] and change it to whatever you drive lable is, for me it is uba.

Hope that works for you, maybe it should be changed in the next knoppix release.