PDA

View Full Version : modify boot screen?

bob58
02-19-2005, 07:31 PM
Hello.....I have installed KNOPPIX on my laptop sharing the HDD with Winxp. When computer boots, the boot screen is a bit rough looking. Is there any way to improve the contrast? The white background is not my favorite. Also is there any way to decrease the size of the screen so it may increase the resolution? I have seen in the past, ways to change boot screen but I would need a little help with that......thanks...bob58

bob58
02-19-2005, 08:58 PM
Hello....I did find a directory, /usr/share/lilo that had a few boot screens in them. I found a nice one with black background with much better contrast than the original one. So I replaced the old file with the new one, "sarge.bmp" in LILO.CONF.
But I am wondering if it is possible to make my own custom boot screen. I realize it must be a ".bmp" file but I am not sure of the dimensions where the menu choices go and the timer. Does anyone have any experience to share making bootscreens? thanks....bob58 :lol:

fingers99
02-20-2005, 06:09 AM
Never done it, but there are some details here (http://www.linuxforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=99097)

mr_ed
02-20-2005, 08:19 AM
"Roll your own" is what Linux is all about, right? :D

See the specifications in your online documentation:

$ man lilo.conf

Basically it's 640x480, 16-bit color for VGA, 256 for VESA. Plus you can specify the colors for the menu text: foreground, background, and shadow, both regular and highlighted.

Enjoy!

-- Ed