PDA

View Full Version : Freezes in Boot

System
02-20-2005, 03:23 PM
Hi im new to linux and knoppix and dont know much about it.
I transfered knoppix 3.6 to cd and booted from it on my laptop and it freezes.
This is what i do:
Start up computer (bios is set to boot from cd)
Knoppix 3.6 screen appears.
I press [Enter] next to the word 'Boot:'
it goes:
Loading linux24...
Loading minirt24.gz...

Next the screen says:
Welcome to the knoppix live linux-on-CD!

Scanning for USB/Firewire devices... Done
Enabling DMA acceleration for: hda [IBM-DARA-206000]
Enabling DMA acceleration for: hdc [Samsung CD-ROM SN-124]
Looking for CDROM in: /dev/scd0

Then it doesnt do anything, am i meant to type something?
Anyone have any idea what the problem is? or what i should do?

Laptop Stats:
Dell Latitude CPi A400XT
Pentium II
Math Comprocessor: Integrated
128MB RAM
Video Memory 2.5MB
BIOs Level: A08
Hardrive no1: 2.92GB
Hardrive no2: 2.51GB

any help much appreciated

System
02-20-2005, 03:59 PM
Typing 'Failsafe' at boot gets it to start, but it takes forever to start anything, would copying the files to hardisk make everything load quicker?

HONK
02-20-2005, 05:25 PM
Did you check the md5sum? maybe your knoppix disk is just bad....

HONK

Harry Kuhman
02-20-2005, 05:30 PM
If you've already checked the md5 sum (which is certainly the first thing you should have done), then maybe booting with the nodam cheat code would help.

HONK
02-20-2005, 05:33 PM
I think you mean nodma...

Harry Kuhman
02-20-2005, 05:44 PM
I think you mean nodma...
Opps, yea! :oops:

System
02-20-2005, 09:21 PM
whats md5sum? dont forget im new, i got it working by typing failsafe in at boot

Harry Kuhman
02-20-2005, 09:26 PM
whats md5sum? dont forget im new, i got it working by typing failsafe in at boot
The MD5 sum is a way to verify that the ISO file you have is good, a very important step, particularly if you downloaded the ISO from a mirror (since a high percentage of mirror downloads tend to be corrupt). Read about it in the downloading faq available from the documentation link at the top of the page, or search the forums for md5 for a lot more discussion.

System
02-20-2005, 09:33 PM
how do i look at it? i downloaded it off a site not a mirror

Harry Kuhman
02-20-2005, 09:47 PM
how do i look at it? i downloaded it off a site not a mirror
Looks like the wiki and the downloading faq are unavailable at the moment. There are many md5 programs that will check it. The one I like is available here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/md5summer/

Basically your computer calculates the md5 sum of the file that you have and then it is compared to the md5 file that you can get from the site that you downloaded the iso from. If they match then your file is good; if they don't then your file is corrupt. The comparison can be done automatically by a program like md5summer, or you can just look at the md5 file (it's a text file) and manually check it against the sum you generate for your iso.

jaredbadger
04-10-2005, 06:34 PM
knoppix26 atapicd nodma

fingers99
04-10-2005, 10:00 PM
knoppix26 atapicd nodma

It's a while since I booted from the live CD (come to think of it, last time was Kanotix) but if that doesn't work, try:

linux26 knoppix atapicd nodma

or

linux26 knoppix nodma

zephyr
04-11-2005, 08:34 AM
Hi I'm a newbie to linux and knoppix.
I downloaded knoppix 3.8.1 and burned it to a cd. However when I try booting it, it freezes.

When I start up computer (bios is set to boot from cd) the Knoppix 3.8.1 screen appears.
it goes:
Loading linux24...
Loading minirt24.gz...

Then the pc will hang and I have to press the reboot button.

PC Stats:
Pentium IV Northwood 2.66
256MB RAM
Video Memory 128MB
Mobo Asrock P4AL-8X
Hardrive no1: 80GB
Hardrive no2: 120GB
DVDWriter Lite-On SOHW-1653S

any help much appreciated

rec9140
04-11-2005, 04:04 PM
When I start up computer (bios is set to boot from cd) the Knoppix 3.8.1 screen appears.
it goes:
Loading linux24...
Loading minirt24.gz...

Then the pc will hang and I have to press the reboot button.

First, make sure you have a good download of the ISO.

Download an MD5 sum checker, for example:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/md5summer/

Run this and if the MD5 sum prodcued matches the published MD5 sum you then have a GOOD ISO.

With the above completed try the following:

When the boot: prompt appears type

knoppix nodma noapic noscsi nodhcp nousb

See what happens, you may need to repeat this several times and change the various codes after the work knoppix from the list of available one, press F2 or F3 to when the first screen with the boot: prompt appears to see a list of codes.

Some of the ones you may need to use are: nousb nopcmcia

One at a time remove each of the codes, working from the end, till it freezes again on boot. Thats the problem source. Put that noxxxx code back and go from there.

An older machine I use to test things out was very difficult to get to boot an older Knoppix version it took the better part of 3 days on/off/on to get a working combo to the commad line. Later versions have gotten quite a lot better at booting the first time out even on the old hardware I use as the main linux/Knoppix box. I am down to a DMA and xserver settings on this when trying newer CD's. X just wants to use out of range settings for my video card & monitor when left to its own devices, and the DMA issue is a know BIOS issue, which I fix later with a hdparm command.

Its TRIAL and ERROR. WRITE DOWN each line you try so you know what you've done. When you get a working boot the LAST code you added will be the problem. DMA, USB, SCSI PCMCIA, DHCP and APIC are some of the biggest problem causes.

At the point it freezes up my first hunch is a bad ISO and thus the reason to make sure you have a good download.