PDA

View Full Version : IceWM

RoyalMail
02-20-2005, 06:12 PM
IceWM is very cool, but it's not at all clear (at least to me) where it gets all its resources from. I've copied the preferences file to ~/.icewm/ and made changes there, but only some - and not all - of the changes appear to take effect. Fonts for instance are defined eslewhere apparently and not defined by the appropriate lines in the preferences file. It also uses a different X86FConfig-4 from KDE or gets its hardware information elsewhere; dpkg-reconfigure ... goes throught he motions but the results don't get written back to that file (I discovered after spending an hour or so trying to get .icewm to realise it was dealing with a keyboard with an uk layout.) KDE was set up ok in minutes.

Icepref seems to write the results of changes made there to the preferences file as expected, but again icewm took litle notice. Copying the preferences file to ./prefoverride helped a bit but not entirely.

Why are these things so badly documented? Any clues to a good explanation as to setting up icewm properly? I don't want the setup to interact with any choices I make in KDE. Now I find the r-click menu from the icewm desktop has disappeared!

Should I just give up on it and install Gnome?

Regds, RM.