PDA

View Full Version : Winmodems (Linux driver exists!)

probono
04-06-2003, 05:10 AM
Really many people would like to be able to use their internal notebook modems. There is a driver on http://www.mbsi.ca/cnxtlindrv/ but KK doesn't want to include it due to licensing. Is there any chance to get the driver to work on

a) knx_hdinstall'ed Knoppix
b) on the fly download (Fabian method)

?

Greetings,
probono

ktheking
04-06-2003, 03:31 PM
Yes and No

No:
Drivers are usually available in source thus demands recompiling.
Winmodem iniatilisation usually demands firmware upload and pci-irq sharing ,thus kernel-recompiling too.
So use it on the fly like the script from Fabian :cry: ,don't think so.

Yes:
This is naturally not the case with all winmodems.
Some of the winmodems already contain a deal of integrated soft
on their ic's so for these ones it could work indeed.

I speak with my background of electronics engineer so maybe there
nevertheless solutions for this issue. (always think posisitive)

So maybe try with the easy winmodems first and then the though ones 8)
I stumbled regulary on a winmodems page and there must be a site dedicated to them where you can find a list with all the available chipsets for winmodems. (Rockwell,S3,...).
I'll communicate the site's adress in the folllowing days.
Greetzzzz..

VeeDubb
04-06-2003, 06:56 PM
While there are winmodems that can be made to work under linux, what I will tell you is this. You only need to try to configure en external modem one time to be sold on them for the rest of your life. Even in windows they are easier to configure as they almost never need a special driver like all winmodems do. Go get an external modem. You can pick one up for $50.00 easy and $25.00 if you catch a good deal. It is worth EVERY PENNY. Even if you primarily use windows. I find that it connects faster and stays connected longer and downloads at much closer to the max for my phonelines more of the time, unlike my ol winmodem, that would start downloading very fast and then gradualy slow down to a crawl.

probono
04-06-2003, 07:28 PM
Go get an external modem. And carry it around with my sleek subnotebook while travelling? :?:

A. Jorge Garcia
04-06-2003, 09:02 PM
What is this on the fly downloads ala Fabian???

Regards,

Stephen
04-06-2003, 09:24 PM
What is this on the fly downloads ala Fabian???

Regards,

My guess would be the shell scripts that he has written to install flash, realpayer, etc... from the internet "on the fly" so to speak.

aay
04-07-2003, 02:46 AM
The Kurumin spin off of Knoppix gives support for some winmodems but I don't know how he approached the licensing issue with the drivers. Unfortunately Kurumin isn't in English either.

Fabianx
04-07-2003, 08:04 PM
Yes and No

No:
Drivers are usually available in source thus demands recompiling.
Winmodem iniatilisation usually demands firmware upload and pci-irq sharing ,thus kernel-recompiling too.
So use it on the fly like the script from Fabian :cry: ,don't think so.

Hm, I think there is hope.

The winmodem driver I have seen did not compile but as I could see it did not demand kernel-compilation either.

Kai Lahmann got nVidia nForce driver for nvnet (netword-card) working.

And I myself, as you know alsa, so I think if its just a module to be compiled it could be added :-)

Then you would just have to take a live-installer with you on a floppy or usb and have your modem working everywhere with knoppix.

However I need to get real requests which modem, where to download driver and if it compiles and is usable just as modules.

cu

Fabian

probono
04-14-2003, 06:49 AM
Here, I found .debs, this could be easy(?) to integrate:

LTModem Drivers for Linux, "for so called Winmodems with Lucent Apollo (ISA) and Mars (PCI) chipsets. (...) The core communications code of these kits is the property of Agere Systems, Inc. (formerly known as Microelectronics Group of Lucent Technologies). The driver was developed and is maintained by Soumyendu Sarkar at Agere Systems" http://www.physcip.uni-stuttgart.de/heby/ltmodem/

MrReaney
09-11-2003, 05:07 PM
No need for external modems:

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2050#9512

Tried it, it works. Ich bin ein happy bunny

arkaine23
09-11-2003, 05:17 PM
I included the 536ep (IBM/ambient) module and the compiled source for lucent winmodems in my remaster, overclockix. I have noe way to test these. Also, they are only available in my beta build, overclockix_technomancer. I imagine the lucent drivers still require some srcipts to be run and am not sure if they'll work off the CD or not.... I have a lot of hope that the 536ep will work from the CD however.

http://overclockix.octeams.com

dbojan
09-16-2003, 08:59 PM
src conexant hsf/hcf modems require you to tupe make install
as root. script recompiles the kernel, I guess since I did not.
It works with kurumin www.kurumin.org. also tar.gz comes with iso.

--
http://vuks.da.ru - tag added by sigger.

{From Simpsons}
Marge: Homer, the plant called. They said if you don't
show up tomorrow don't bother showing up on Monday.
Homer: Woo-hoo! Four-day weekend!