PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Networking woes on a total Newbie

Phishman
02-21-2005, 01:01 AM
Im new to knopix and need to connect my knopix computer to my PC with Windows XP Pro. Whats the best way to do this? I need to run one of them on wireless, is it better to put the WIFI on the Windows PC and use Wired for the linux? How do i go about setting up the network? Any recogmendations for Hardware? I have a Westell Versalink 327W wireless/wired router that came for free with my DSL, will this work or sohould i buy something else?
Thanks. I really need the help

Harry Kuhman
02-21-2005, 01:13 AM
......I need to run one of them on wireless, is it better to put the WIFI on the Windows PC and use Wired for the linux? ......p
Linux support for wireless is not great, as many vendors will not release information for their cards or chip set. However, they do provide drivers for Windows. So if it makes no difference to you, then I would say run the Linux system wired.

However, you don't seem to care which system is wired and which is wireless. This makes me wonder if both might not be wired. I don't know the details of your particular router, it may only have one wired port. But you can buy a "switch" for less than you can buy a wireless networking card (I saw a couple advertised this weekend for $10 after rebate). A "switch" in this context is a device with multile ethernet connections (ports) on it, and allows you to connect multiple ethernet devices when you don't have enough ports to plug them all in. (There are also hubs, which are less sophisticated, but switches are dirt cheap now and usually a better choice unless you have a good reason to use a hub rather than a switch.)

Again, I have no details about your particular router, but since you already have it go ahead and see how well it works. Linux is not an issue here, it should connect to almost any router with problems. Put the knoppix CD in the computer that is wired to the router, boot it, and see. You should find that you are on the Internet as soon as you boot (and if not the problem is more likely with the computer tha the router). If all else fails, wireless routers are very cheap too (several available this week for $10 or less after rebate), but try using what you have.

marhleet
02-21-2005, 11:05 AM
http://www.westell.com/content/products/pdf/versalink.pdf

generically !! speaking....
the picture on page 2 shows 4 ports /...
it will work as a 4 port hub as well as wireless

use it as a hub and plug both computers in

Phishman
02-25-2005, 01:31 AM
I can't run them both via wired as there both in different rooms and theres no attic space above or basement space below to run the wires. I dont want to run it under the carpet, as its way to much work and i dont know of any way to route it through finished walls. Thus, one of them has to run on wireless. My router has 4 ports but one of them will have to use G wireless. Any assistance would still be good.

Harry Kuhman
02-25-2005, 01:46 AM
.... My router has 4 ports but one of them will have to use G wireless. Any assistance would still be good.
So back to my original suggestion, run the Windows system on the wireless connection.

pureone
02-25-2005, 02:06 AM
you could make linux wired and hook it up to a wireless router that connects to another wireless router.
ive never done this my self so i wont beable to help on it.

other then that your only options are to try and get linux working fully wireless or just let xp do the wireless and keep linux wired.

Harry Kuhman
02-25-2005, 03:00 AM
you could make linux wired and hook it up to a wireless router that connects to another wireless router.
ive never done this my self so i wont beable to help on it. .......
I've never yet seen a wireless router that could be configured to do this. A Bridge will let you connect to a router this way, but far fewer of these devices are sold than common wireless routers, and as a result the market is far less competitive. Bridges generally cost more than people want to pay for this function.

pureone
02-25-2005, 03:12 AM
i know someone that has done it. he used a Linksys WRT54G with hacked firmwear. donno much else about the details.

http://www.3com.com/corpinfo/en_US/technology/tech_paper.jsp?DOC_ID=194520

grant_vallance
02-25-2005, 11:01 AM
ive never done this my self so i wont beable to help on it. .......
I've never yet seen a wireless router that could be configured to do this. A Bridge will let you connect to a router this way, but far fewer of these devices are sold than common wireless routers, and as a result the market is far less competitive. Bridges generally cost more than people want to pay for this function.

My set-up uses 2 wireless routers connected via WDS. No hacking required; only 2x routers that support WDS from the same vendor. It didn't take much time or expertise -- I have neither :-) It works really well too!

I use Buffalo equipment: WBR-G54s.

No need to use a bridge: indeed in the case of Buffalo bridges and routers cost about the same so it is better to get another router: more functionality.

From what I read the biggest thing to bear in mind is there is no standard for WDS so vendors implement their own solution. Hence generally equipment from different vendors will not work together so buy identical units that support WDS... There might be exceptions, but I have not found them, apart from Buffalo nots that Apple AirportExpress' have worked with their equipment in the past.

Cheers,

Grant D. Vallance