PDA

View Full Version : How can I know if IDE-SCSI is included in my distribution

garyng
04-06-2003, 07:53 AM
"insmod ide-scsi" said module not found
"locate ide-scsi" only find the ide-scsi.c/.h file but no .o anywhere.

I tried to use my HP7200e(parallel port cdwriter) with cdrecord but the program cannot find the device. I can access the HP7200e as a read only CD-ROM by loading the "pcd" driver. In order to use it as a writer, it seems that I need to load the "pg" driver. But after loading the "pg" driver, "cdrecord -scanbus" doesn't see the device.

garyng
04-06-2003, 08:46 AM
Ok, solved my own problem. KNOPPIX doesn't have the necessary /dev/pg? created, I have to manually made it.

Now that cdrecord can see the device, could someone tell me how to burn the downloaded ISO images ?

#cdrecord speed=1 dev=1,0,0 /whatever.iso

give me some warning like may not be able to fill the data etc. and talk about overburn. I wanted to burn it on a CD-RW rather than CD-R, would that make any difference ?

rickenbacherus
04-06-2003, 08:44 PM
Ok, solved my own problem. KNOPPIX doesn't have the necessary /dev/pg? created, I have to manually made it.

Now that cdrecord can see the device, could someone tell me how to burn the downloaded ISO images ?

#cdrecord speed=1 dev=1,0,0 /whatever.iso

I cd to the directory my .iso is in then do a:

root@cromag:/home/glenn# cdrecord -v speed=4 dev=0,0 KNOPPIX_V3.2-2003-03-30-EN.iso

Of course you'll want dev=1,0 You only need to give the BUS & TARGET, LUN is optional.

give me some warning like may not be able to fill the data etc. and talk about overburn. I wanted to burn it on a CD-RW rather than CD-R, would that make any difference ?

The error about disk size can be caused when you use incorrect syntax & cd-rw should be OK.

Here's what the ouput looked like:

Cdrecord 2.01a05 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2002 Jörg Schilling
TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM
scsidev: '0,0'
scsibus: 0 target: 0 lun: 0
Linux sg driver version: 3.1.24
Using libscg version 'schily-0.7'
atapi: 1
Device type : Removable CD-ROM
Version : 0
Response Format: 1
Vendor_info : 'SONY '
Identifikation : 'CD-RW CRX100E '
Revision : '2.0h'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc CD-RW.
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc CD-R driver (mmc_cdr).
Driver flags : MMC SWABAUDIO
Supported modes: TAO PACKET SAO
Drive buf size : 1040128 = 1015 KB
FIFO size : 4194304 = 4096 KB
Track 01: data 699 MB
Total size: 803 MB (79:38.68) = 358401 sectors
Lout start: 804 MB (79:40/51) = 358401 sectors
Current Secsize: 2048
ATIP start of lead in: -11231 (97:32/19)
ATIP start of lead out: 359847 (79:59/72)
Disk type: Short strategy type (Phthalocyanine or similar)
Manuf. index: 27
Manufacturer: Prodisc Technology Inc.
Blocks total: 359847 Blocks current: 359847 Blocks remaining: 1446
Starting to write CD/DVD at speed 4 in real TAO mode for single session.
Last chance to quit, starting real write 6 seconds.
cdrecord: fifo had 64 puts and 0 gets.
cdrecord: fifo was 0 times empty and 1 times full, min fill was 0%.

Just hit CTRL+c if you want to cancel the burn.

rickenbacherus
04-07-2003, 02:48 AM
"insmod ide-scsi" said module not found
"locate ide-scsi" only find the ide-scsi.c/.h file but no .o anywhere.

insmod ide-scsi doesn't work because it is not a module - it's already compiled into the kernel. That's why you'll see the append "hda=scsi hdb=scsi" etc in your lilo.conf

garyng
04-07-2003, 03:10 AM
thanks, if the burnt failed after just a few seconds, can I assume I got a bad CD-RW ? Actually, all I want to know is if I can treat CD-RW just like normal CD-R(other than that it can be burnt repeatedly) or there is additional step needed if I want to reuse CD-RW.

BTW, can I use CD-RW like a floppy i.e. mount it and write to it ?

rickenbacherus
04-07-2003, 03:52 AM
thanks, if the burnt failed after just a few seconds, can I assume I got a bad CD-RW ?
There could be multiple reasons it fails. Do you suspect the drive of being faulty?

Actually, all I want to know is if I can treat CD-RW just like normal CD-R(other than that it can be burnt repeatedly)
Yes for all practical purposes they are essentially the same. Is this drive a real SCSI device or is it IDE?

or there is additional step needed if I want to reuse CD-RW.
man cdrecord - line 220 or so gives you the options to 'blank' a cdrw.

BTW, can I use CD-RW like a floppy i.e. mount it and write to it ?
Certainly. cdrecord will automatically look for /dev/cdrom. AFAIK this is true of most Linux apps. If you need assistance with fstab, symbolic links, mount points etc. just post a few details, it's not too hard to get straightened out (usually). ;)

edit

I almost forgot, line 113 of man cdrecord- you can pass the "dummy" option. Everything runs but the laser if off. Good way to troubleshoot.

garyng
04-07-2003, 04:07 AM
You misunderstood me :-)

I know the blank option and have used it and cdrecord returns no error on my suspicious CD-RW.

What I want to ask is do I need to blank a CD-RW before I can burn it again.

As for using it as floppy, I mean can make a file system on it(ext2/fat?) and mount it and use it in commands like cp etc.

In Window, I can just drag and drop(and delete) whatever I want on it.

cdrecord to me seems like a once off burning program rather than the tools I want.

rickenbacherus
04-07-2003, 04:29 AM
You misunderstood me :-)

I know the blank option and have used it and cdrecord returns no error on my suspicious CD-RW.

Good question, I've never had cdrw though so I couldn't say. I don't think it is required. Be aware that I am frequently incorrect in my assuptions. ;) Did you use software to do this in windows?

Henk Poley
04-07-2003, 07:45 AM

As for using it as floppy, I mean can make a file system on it(ext2/fat?) and mount it and use it in commands like cp etc.

In Window, I can just drag and drop(and delete) whatever I want on it.
If you are talking about the Knoppix CD, then the answer is "no". The ISO is not in a "package writing" format, which is needed to be able to remove files (a 'package') again.

You might be able to add files if you didn't "close" or "finalize" the CD, and your PC still boots from it (or you hdinstall'ed Knoppix).

cdrecord to me seems like a once off burning program rather than the tools I want.
I'm unsure, I do know that there is/was experimental package writing support directly in the kernel. Don't know how stable it is, nor if it is enabled in Knoppix, neither what program to use for formatting. You could try formatting a CD in Windows and dropping files on it in Linux.

BTW, K3b is a good linux CD burning GUI.

Let us know if it worked.

Phantom
04-13-2003, 06:52 PM
About using a CD-RW as a floppy:

This is called "packet writing", not "package writing".
When I bought a TDK CD-RW, they included a program for Windows called InCD that would format a CD-RW, and then it could be used for dragging and dropping.

Back around 2001, I saw something about this for Linux on http://www.linuxtoday.com
I don't remember the name of the software. It could have been just a HOW-TO or something from www.sourceforge.net. The reviewer was trying out the second version, but it still had major bugs.
I don't think that packet-writing software is available yet for Linux.

rickenbacherus
04-13-2003, 11:08 PM
Very interesting Phantom. Your post caused me to do a little googling and I came up with this:
http://hints.linuxfromscratch.org/hints/cdrw-hint.txt

Anybody else seen anything about this?

Phantom
04-17-2003, 05:30 AM
Thanks for the link, Rick...
That is exactly what my InCD software does.
I believe that UDF refers to Universal Data Format.

I am planning to build a Linux system from scratch.
I will have to give linux-udf a try when the time comes. 8)

aay
04-17-2003, 06:14 AM
As I understand it packet writing will be in the 2.6 kernel. Not sure where I read this though.