PDA

View Full Version : AC 97 onboard sound w/ Knoppix 3.7 (help plz)

jtvision
02-21-2005, 09:33 PM
Hey I have Knoppix 3.7 (just installed it) and Im working on getting my Intel(r) 82801AA AC’97 Audio Controller to work.

I dont believe that it is even picking it up....

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

jtvision
02-21-2005, 11:18 PM
I found this, yet I cannot edit my XF86Config file.
http://www.linuxjunior.org/cgi-bin/pet/pet.cgi?SUBMIT=Display&id=71

Quick question, what is the different uses of the XF86Config file and the XF86Config-4 file ?

Thanks

CrashedAgain
02-24-2005, 11:26 PM
XF86Config-4 is the config file the system uses to set the hardware. With Knoppix, XF86Config-4.in is a 'master' copy Knoppix uses to create XF86Config-4 for the system hardware found. But sound card is not configured from the file, it only sets input/output devices like video driver, mouse & keyboard.
You must be root to edit this file.
You should see a 'sound card found' message when booting if the sound card is being detected.
Often on default setup sound only works for root. As a test, open a terminal, then type 'kdesu konqueror' to open konqueror as root (you will need a root password set to use kdesu; 'sudo passwd' will set a root password). Then navigate to /usr/share/sounds & try to open one of the sound file (startup.ogg is a good sample) as root. If it works, your sound card is OK, you just have to get it to work as user.
See this post for further info on getting your sound to work: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17256

ICPUG
02-26-2005, 02:44 AM
With my Laptop with onboard sound I had to use the following cheatcode:

alsa=intel8x0

without the =intel8x0 it didn't work.

This certainly gets the lady telling me I've started up. Whether the full sound system works I am not sure. I have seen posts that suggest other things might have to be done but this is a start.

ICPUG

jotzet
02-27-2005, 01:54 PM
hi knoppix ppl!
finally i solved my soundcard problem with a real dirrrty hack... :twisted:

the problem was, that adding alsa=intel8x0 to the boot options didn't help. :cry:
furthermore intel8x0m (for the modem) is insmodded before intel8x0 (when calling it with the boot param)...

another problem is that the xsession uses the oss device ("initiating startup sequence") so you can't rmmod the oss i810_audio module during the xsession.

:idea: so i put simply the following lines to my "personal settings" knoppix.sh file:

#!/bin/sh
[ "`id -u`" = "0" ] || { echo "You need root privileges to modify the system!" >&2 ; exit 1; }
[ -d "$1" ] && CONFIGS="$1/configs.tbz"
[ -f "$CONFIGS" ] || CONFIGS="/cdrom/KNOPPIX/configs.tbz"
[ -f "$CONFIGS" ] || CONFIGS="/mnt/floppy/configs.tbz"
if [ -f "$CONFIGS" ]; then
echo "Extracting config archive $CONFIGS..."
tar -jpPtf "$CONFIGS" | while read i; do rm -f "$i"; done
tar -jpPxf "$CONFIGS" ; chown -R knoppix.knoppix /home/knoppix
fi
echo "Starting daemons..."
for i in cupsys; do [ -x /etc/init.d/$i ] && /etc/init.d/$i start; done
# added by jotzet
rmmod snd_intel8x0m
rmmod i810_audio
modprobe snd_intel8x0
alsa_init
alsa_snddevices
# u could leave the next line out
alsamixer

this is the file which fetches the personal data from a external storage dev.
i couldn't find a solution to set the mixersettings apart from calling alsamixer (alsactl restore isn's supported).

instead of putting the lines to the knoppix.sh file, you could boot with "knoppix26 2" for init 2 and enter the lines manually.

finally i'm able to use skype(out) under knoppix and it works flawlessly. 8)

i know it's a dirty way to do it, but it works for me.
and i hope 4 u 2!