PDA

View Full Version : Poor Mans Install gets to DHCP broadcast and then stops

DataSurfer
02-22-2005, 07:21 AM
I just did a Poor Mans Install according to http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Win_Partition

After figuring out that my c: partition was on the second partition of my drive (the guide actually mentioned HP Pavilions in the notes) I got Knoppix 3.7 to boot to the hardware detection scripts

It gets past the USB, firewire, soundcard and video detection just fine

It gets all the way to the network configuration with the last line displayed being:

Network device eth0 detected, DHCP broadcasting for IP. (Backgrounding)

Then it just sits there.

I have booted this same computer with a knoppix CD several times. This is the first time that I am doing the Poor Man method. I am using the same ISO that I used to boot with a CD.

Any ideas on how I can troubleshoot this?

DataSurfer
02-22-2005, 08:30 AM
I was able to get my poor man's install to boot using kernel 24 instead of 26 I always ran kernal 26 from the cd so this is kind of weird

mr_ed
02-22-2005, 11:27 PM
When I boot to 2.6, the message that comes up on the screen after dhcp broadcasting refers to the CD drive. And people doing regular HD installs are finding that their CD drive doesn't work.

What fixed mine was to make a change in /etc/fstab so that

/dev/cdrom was either

/dev/scd0 or

/dev/sr0 (which is symlinked to /dev/scd0).

Something else to check is the drive's mount point. Knoppix-installer builds /etc/fstab so that it's

/cdrom, which is the Debian way of doing things, but the desktop icon (using kdm, anyway) is

/mnt/cdrom, so you might want to change that in one place or the other.

While you're in /etc/fstab, if you want the CD drive to be mounted automatically (so you don't have to do it manually each time you boot), change noauto to either auto or just delete that word.

-- Ed

CrashedAgain
02-24-2005, 05:38 AM
I just did a Poor Mans Install according to http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Win_Partition

After figuring out that my c: partition was on the second partition of my drive (the guide actually mentioned HP Pavilions in the notes) I got Knoppix 3.7 to boot to the hardware detection scripts

It gets past the USB, firewire, soundcard and video detection just fine

It gets all the way to the network configuration with the last line displayed being:

Network device eth0 detected, DHCP broadcasting for IP. (Backgrounding)

Then it just sits there.

I have booted this same computer with a knoppix CD several times. This is the first time that I am doing the Poor Man method. I am using the same ISO that I used to boot with a CD.

Any ideas on how I can troubleshoot this?

try booting 'knoppix failsafe tohd=scan'. You may have to do Knoppix (menu item) -> configure network card after it boots. Doesn't may sense that it boots from the CD but not from the HD though. I don't think it is the CD problem, there is a bug her but it doesn't usually prevent booting.