PDA

View Full Version : Linux Newbie needs help!!!

ihatemyusername
12-24-2002, 07:08 AM
So I burned the iso to disk and made a bootable CD and all. Now, when I start up from the disk, all I get is a command prompt. I tried typing knoppix and that didn't work and I tried "ls" and that didn't work either. What exactly am I supposed to type at this initial startup screen??

Thanks for the help,

ihate

pat
12-27-2002, 04:03 PM
hello,

don't understand what is your problem, you start up from the disk... the cdrom or hdisk?
you are in a command prompt, then you are not in X (graphic), then try startx...
do you have enough memory? how many memory?

i hope it can help you...

pat

Tech2k
12-27-2002, 05:39 PM
I may be wrong but I think I know what you did.You burned the iso and made it bootable with some program like nero and now you see a "[Dr-Dos] a:/" prompt or something dont you...

The iso is already bootable so all you do is to burn it you DO NOT need to set the burning program your using to "make bootable cd" or anything.If your using nero to butn (it's been over a year since i ran win/nero) you do something like close the wizzard go right to the main screen where you have the split window to drag/drop files then browse to the image and up at the top left of the window where it says "file,edit,whatever" just click "file" and on the menu that drops down click something like "burn image".If by any chance your running winxp then do yourself a favor and google for the free iso recorder power toy so you can just right click an iso and burn it.This link may also help http://www.petri.co.il/howto_write_iso_files.htm

If my guess is right and you made it a bootable cd then your burning app overwrote the Knoppix boot image with a free one from dr dos or something.

user
12-27-2002, 05:58 PM
"So I burned the iso to disk and made a bootable CD and all. Now, when I start up from the disk, all I get is a command prompt. I tried typing knoppix and that didn't work and I tried "ls" and that didn't work either. What exactly am I supposed to type at this initial startup screen?? "

Press ENTER

01-03-2003, 07:43 AM
5. for english language type in "knoppix lang=us" without the quotes when you arrive at the text screen. the = is shift+0, atleast for me.

posted on another forum by dhtp

Tigren
01-03-2003, 09:27 AM
if you did what Tech2k said u did, then he has the fix for it. If you are getting a picture of the linux penguin and what not, then u are at the boot screen. all u need to do is hit enter if u downloaded the -EN iso. if u downloaded the -dE iso, type knoppix lang=us. thats all there is to iut.