PDA

View Full Version : post hd-install comments and suggestions

_jz_
04-06-2003, 03:52 PM
hi

i just installed 2 knoppix on the hard drives of two complete newbies, who knew only windows before (including my mom!) and they feel really fine about it!!

though they wouldn't have been able to do the hd install themselves, they're now very comfortable with using their system!

i had though to do a few customization and things, and here are a few things i thought about, during all this:

- the "KNOPPIX" menu in the kde default profile doesn't stay after an HD install (minor)

- when scsi was once detected over ide, after installing a SCSI board detection doesn't work automatically until once forced by modprobing.

- the KDM default language was tchèque or something (minor)

- why not using supermount for the CDrom and floppy

- why isn't there a very simple GUI like "configuring your internet connexiont" which would give the choice between using a DHCP, pppoe, setupping kppp, etc... like making abstraction of the physical medium used by the end-user?

- why isn't there a script for grabbing more non-free stuff than flash? (like realplayer, libdecss, ... )

- why not including a few skinz for xmms? =)) (this may sound stupid, but this impress people *alot* :)

- why not including gkrellm (when writing this i'm not sure it's not included already?...)

- why not making a very simple script, upon install, that would change the name of the default "knoppix" user to the user's choice? a "what is your name?" question at the beginning of the installation process would make that completely seamless to the user..

i hope these few things will be useful to you!

i say to everyone whom i give a knoppix CD to (8 or 9 so far!) : "if you like it, copy it 2 times and give it to 2 people you like who have never heard of linux."

many thanx an congratulations for surch a beautiful and well runned project!!

Henk Poley
04-06-2003, 05:01 PM
- the KDM default language was tchèque or something (minor)
I guess you meant german (?)

- why not using supermount for the CDrom and floppy
Ah! That's the program I wanted to post in a recent thread somewhere on this forum.

- why isn't there a script for grabbing more non-free stuff than flash? (like realplayer, libdecss, ... )
Knoppix community is still growing, that's why, I think.

- why not making a very simple script, upon install, that would change the name of the default "knoppix" user to the user's choice? a "what is your name?" question at the beginning of the installation process would make that completely seamless to the user..
Yes, that should be pretty easy to do I think, some config files need to be changed and the Knoppix home dir should be copied over to the new user.

btw, don't forget to add the requests to the SoftwareAdditionRequests (http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/SoftwareAdditionRequests) wiki page.

_jz_
04-06-2003, 11:58 PM
Quote:

Yes, that should be pretty easy to do I think, some config files need to be changed and the Knoppix home dir should be copied over to the new user.

there was a unix command i can't remember that could be used to change a user's name, so it may be even simpler than what you thought! :)

Fabianx
04-07-2003, 07:44 PM
>hi

hi, I am Fabian, upcoming author of a new installer, if I ever find the time to complete it, but I'm optimistic! :-)

Playning stage is successful so far...

>i just installed 2 knoppix on the hard drives of two complete newbies, who knew only >windows before (including my mom!) and they feel really fine about it!!

:-)

>though they wouldn't have been able to do the hd install themselves, they're now very >comfortable with using their system!

Thats nice to hear.

>i had though to do a few customization and things, and here are a few things i thought >about, during all this:

Nice to hear for me :-)

>- the "KNOPPIX" menu in the kde default profile doesn't stay after an HD install (minor)

That is wanted as sudo is no longer working. This will be solved by prefixing it with kdesu.

>- when scsi was once detected over ide, after installing a SCSI board detection doesn't work automatically until once forced by modprobing.

interesting

>- the KDM default language was tchèque or something (minor)

german. Hm, written down!

>- why not using supermount for the CDrom and floppy

You mean automount, yeah it should work like from CD.

>- why isn't there a very simple GUI like "configuring your internet connexiont" which would >give the choice between using a DHCP, pppoe, setupping kppp, etc... like making >abstraction of the physical medium used by the end-user?

Nice Idea, but doesn't the knoppix-networking menu try to do this ?

>- why isn't there a script for grabbing more non-free stuff than flash? (like realplayer, >libdecss, ... )

There is but it is for running from CD-Rom only.

See: http://www.linuxfaqs.de/knoppix/

Also see in this forum some threads below [ANNOUNCE] alsa from CD working ...

If you have the system installed you can grab the DEBs directly from the right sites.

>- why not including a few skinz for xmms? =)) (this may sound stupid, but this impress people *alot* :)

Do you have some free space I (Klaus) could download ?

>- why not including gkrellm (when writing this i'm not sure it's not included already?...)

Until last Knoppix there was ksim, which seemed exactly like that, don't know if in new upcoming version this will be missing.

Problem with this is: gkrellm does need gnome1-libraries we will not long have on knoppix.

>- why not making a very simple script, upon install, that would change the name of the >default "knoppix" user to the user's choice? a "what is your name?" question at the >beginning of the installation process would make that completely seamless to the user..

Nice idea.

>i hope these few things will be useful to you!

Yep, thx. (I'm not maintainer of Knoppix, but working with Klaus)

>i say to everyone whom i give a knoppix CD to (8 or 9 so far!) : "if you like it, copy it 2 >times and give it to 2 people you like who have never heard of linux."

That is a very nice idea!

>many thanx an congratulations for surch a beautiful and well runned project!!

Thank you for writing this. It was helpful!

cu

Fabian

Henk Poley
04-08-2003, 04:14 PM

No...

http://hints.nl.linuxfromscratch.org/hints/supermount.txt - See "Using"

It's used by Mandrake, 2.4.20 patch is here (http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~quintela/supermount/2.4.20/).

Fabianx
04-08-2003, 04:18 PM

No...

http://hints.nl.linuxfromscratch.org/hints/supermount.txt - See "Using"

It's used by Mandrake, 2.4.20 patch is here (http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~quintela/supermount/2.4.20/).

What are the advantages to Automount (AutoFS), which is enabled on CD by default ?

cu

Fabian

Henk Poley
04-08-2003, 05:37 PM
What are the advantages to Automount (AutoFS), which is enabled on CD by default ?
Floppy support? Else.. Dunno, you might ask somewhere in Mandrake's forums, since they used it already for a long a time. Might be userspace vs. kernelspace kind of stuff?